Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Scania 2019 <cr...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/30 17:37:38 UTC

Request for step by step install guide

Good day,

I have an urgent deployment I need to make as follows:

I have one ESXI host, and in it I would like to install one vm that runs
the web portal, database, and management node.

Alongside this, in the same host I would like to setup two VMs, which will
be the compute nodes.

I'm therefore requesting a clear step by step how-to, with the assumption
that I know nothing. Hopefully this time I won't give up on setting up VCL
as I believe it to be a great product. Only the documentation is not clear
and in some crucial parts assumes we already have the technical knowledge.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
SC

Re: Request for step by step install guide

Posted by Scania 2019 <cr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Josh,

I am now able to do a reservation for a Windows image, and I'm moving onto
creating a Linux image.

I have some queries for my deployment as below:

a.) The Cygwin SSH service on Windows Server 2012 is setting to manual by
default when an image loads during reservation, even though I would have
set it to autostart before capturing an image. Is there a workaround to get
the service to autostart?

b.) My deployment scenario is for 300 concurrent reservations with a mix of
Windows and Linux images;
     - Do I need to create all 300 computer objects in VCL and assign them
MAC addresses?
     - Do I also need to generate dhcpd.conf data for all 300
computers, along with the static IP address assignment?

Thanks and regards,
CS

Posted by Scania 2019 <cr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Josh,

Posted by Scania 2019 <cr...@gmail.com>.
Josh,

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Posted by Scania 2019 <cr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Josh,

Posted by Scania 2019 <cr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Josh,

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

> [...]

click New Reservation, and reserve the image.

Follow up with questions as you go through the process.

Josh

On Thursday, April 30, 2020 1:37:38 PM EDT Scania 2019 wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I have an urgent deployment I need to make as follows:
>
> I have one ESXI host, and in it I would like to install one vm that runs
> the web portal, database, and management node.
>
> Alongside this, in the same host I would like to setup two VMs, which will
> be the compute nodes.
>
> I'm therefore requesting a clear step by step how-to, with the assumption
> that I know nothing. Hopefully this time I won't give up on setting up VCL
> as I believe it to be a great product. Only the documentation is not clear
> and in some crucial parts assumes we already have the technical knowledge.

- --
my GPG/PGP key can be found at www.keyserver.net