Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2014/04/22 21:07:28 UTC

[DRAFT] Announcement: FlexJS and FalconJX 0.0.1 Released!

Hi,

If there's no objections I'll send this out in 12 hours or so.  Note that
the CMS buildbot is still not working, so changes I've made to the website
to support this document are not even on staging and but are in SVN.  If
CMS is still broken, I will hold the announcement until the site is
updated.

I'm only planning to send to dev@ and user@.  Should we/can we use the ASF
announce list?  I think someone found a policy saying we can't?

----------
The Apache Flex community is pleased to announce the initial (alpha)
release of Apache FlexJS SDK 0.0.1 and Apache Flex FalconJX Compiler 0.0.1.

Apache Flex is a highly productive, open source application framework for
building and maintaining expressive applications that deploy consistently
on all major browsers, desktops and devices (including smartphones,
tablets and tv).

Apache FlexJS is a next-generation Flex SDK that enables developers to use
MXML and ActionScript to not only create SWFs but also cross-compile the
same MXML and ActionScript to HTML/JS/CSS so applications can run natively
in browsers.  The cross-compiled code can also be used in Apache Cordova
(Adobe PhoneGap) mobile applications.

Apache Flex FalconJX is a next-generation MXML and ActionScript
cross-compiler.  It extends the next-generation SWF compiler known as
Falcon.  Both are contained in the release package and are used by the
FlexJS package to compile SWFs or cross-compile to HTML/JS/CSS.

This is the initial release of FlexJS and FalconJX.  It is 'alpha'
quality.  The purpose of this release is to gather feedback about the
features and implementation strategies, and recruit new contributors as we
grow these code bases into an SDK and tool chain that delivers the highest
productivity developing applications that can run in the most places.
These releases may not handle production needs.  Expect lots of bugs and
missing features.  Please file bugs at:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX/

For questions about how to use FlexJS and FalconJX, send email to
users@flex.apache.org.  Please try to prefix the subject with [FlexJS] or
[FalconJX] so it is clear the questions refer to this release and not the
Flex SDK and MXMLC compiler.

For questions and feedback on the development of the source code in these
release, send email to dev@flex.apache.org.  Again, please prefix the
subject with [FlexJS] or [FalconJX].

Apache FlexJS and Apache Flex FalconJX are available in source and binary
form from the following download page:
http://flex.apache.org/download-flexjs.html

When downloading from a mirror site, please remember to verify the
downloads using signatures or MD5 hashes.

A simple way to try these releases is to use a pre-release of the
InstallApacheFlex 3.0 application which is available at the following url:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flex/installer/3.0/rc7/binaries/

Choose Apache FlexJS 0.0.1 and it will create an Adobe Flash
Builder-compatible SDK that uses the Falcon and FalconJX compilers to
generate SWFs and HTML/JS/CSS output.  See the README or the FlexJS wiki
for more information.  The FlexJS section of the wiki is at the following
url:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/FlexJS

For more information on Apache Flex, visit the project home page:
http://flex.apache.org <http://flex.apache.org/>

Please try FlexJS and become involved in shaping the future of Flex.

The Apache Flex Community
----------

Thanks,
Alex

Re: [DRAFT] Announcement: FlexJS and FalconJX 0.0.1 Released!

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> It is official in that I can add my vote and send the results.  We've only
> delayed doing so in case too many folks ran into the locale issue.

Which IMO is a serious issue

Re: [DRAFT] Announcement: FlexJS and FalconJX 0.0.1 Released!

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/22/14 3:43 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>HI,
>
>> It is official in that I can add my vote and send the results.  We've
>>only
>> delayed doing so in case too many folks ran into the locale issue.
>
>Which IMO is a serious issue - given (from google analytics) that we
>currently have 150-200 installs a day and 70% of those are in non en_US
>locales is that worth the risk?
>
>I had though consensus was not to release until 4.12.1 was out the door?
Yes, that was the consensus.  But we can always change our minds.  I'm
just throwing out alternatives.  The locale issue was not going to hit
everybody.  Even folks in Europe did not hit it.

I believe that posting it to the dist release server does not cause folks
who already have Installer 2.7 to auto-upgrade to 3.0.  I'd want to hear
from Om as to how the badge installer works and where it looks for the
installer.

Anyway, the installer bandwidth should be small.  The installer is only
2MB.  So if 1000 folks get the installer between now and when we get
4.12.1 out the door that should only be 2GB extra bandwidth, if I'm doing
my math right.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Is there an significant difference in user experience or function between versions that you think might be responsible for a higher failure rate? Otherwise I'd assume the rate is similar.
Sent via the PANTECH Discover, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

Hi,

> That's interesting.  And nobody has lodged a complaint?
IMO people rarely complain when things go wrong - it takes effort. I'd guess some of those failures will be windows permission issues as that seems to crop but a bit.

>  I wonder why so many failures.
Perhaps we should include the step in the failure URL if that's possible?

>  What is the failure rate from the 2.7 installer?
Unknown as it's not recorded, but given the much higher level of use if something wasn't working to that level (ie 50%) I'd expect a few complaints out of 7000+ installs.

Justin

Re: [DRAFT] Announcement: FlexJS and FalconJX 0.0.1 Released!

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I can't get infra to build our site so we'll delay pushing everything
until I can bug them tomorrow.  Time for bed for me.

-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/22/14 3:57 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I also note from google analytics that with the new installer we had 150
>odd installs with > 50% resulting in failure. It's still 50% failure if I
>only look at the last 2 weeks (40 installs) which I assume would be the
>last RC.
That's interesting.  And nobody has lodged a complaint?  I wonder why so
many failures.  What is the failure rate from the 2.7 installer?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

BTW we just gone past 7000 installs since releasing 4.12.

Justin

Re: [DRAFT] Announcement: FlexJS and FalconJX 0.0.1 Released!

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/22/14 2:45 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> What would be the alternative?
>
>Not sure, but you may want to consider implications/bandwidth that may
>consume or even check with INFRA. See 1.

I will be very happy if the installer gets enough traffic to cause a
bandwidth issue.  I hope we get 4.12.1 and therefore installer out in the
next week or so.

I also suggested pushing the installer to the release server and mirrors
and holding the announcement on it and not force-switching everyone to it
in the installer-config files.  Do you still not like that idea?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

1. https://www.apache.org/dev/mirrors.html

Re: [DRAFT] Announcement: FlexJS and FalconJX 0.0.1 Released!

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Yeah! :) I will definitely after publish spread the word on some Polish
forums! :)

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex Committer
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [DRAFT] Announcement: FlexJS and FalconJX 0.0.1 Released!

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/22/14 1:36 PM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Apr 22, 2014 12:08 PM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If there's no objections I'll send this out in 12 hours or so.  Note
>>that
>> the CMS buildbot is still not working, so changes I've made to the
>>website
>> to support this document are not even on staging and but are in SVN.  If
>> CMS is still broken, I will hold the announcement until the site is
>> updated.
>
>You may also want to make sure that the mirrors are updated.
>
>What about the ASF blog?
Blogs.a.o is down.  I want to borrow from some other blog announcement
when drafting the blog post.

>Also don't we want to release/announce the Installer 3.0 as well?  Right
>now there is no other way to install it (easily) for user in an IDE
Well, we promised Justin we wouldn't until 4.12.1 comes out with the
locale fix.  The announcements will point to the RC for the installer.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 22, 2014 12:08 PM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If there's no objections I'll send this out in 12 hours or so.  Note that
> the CMS buildbot is still not working, so changes I've made to the website
> to support this document are not even on staging and but are in SVN.  If
> CMS is still broken, I will hold the announcement until the site is
> updated.

You may also want to make sure that the mirrors are updated.

What about the ASF blog?

Also don't we want to release/announce the Installer 3.0 as well?  Right
now there is no other way to install it (easily) for user in an IDE

Thanks,
Om