Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by JDJ <Ja...@ustranscom.mil> on 2013/03/12 20:21:42 UTC

PDF keyword searches not accurate

Hello, everyone.

I'm working (basically for the first time) on a project that requires PDFs
to be indexed and searched via Solr under ColdFusion Server 9.

I've completed the project, but the client is asking a question that I don't
have the answer for.

Basically, there is one PDF that has "1386" in it (part of a form
description) that is not appearing when searching for 1386.  The 1386 is in
a relatively small PDF (2.7 Mb).  Is there a way to troubleshoot this issue?
I'm a Solr n00b.

Thank you,

-----
JDJ
  "There are two kinds of people in the world;
      those who understand binary, and
      those who don't.

Re: PDF keyword searches not accurate

Posted by JDJ <Ja...@ustranscom.mil>.
Unfortunately, I am not in control of the development environment, so
installing a stand-alone Solr is not an option.

Well, let me correct that.. I do have my own instance of ColdFusion Server
on my local machine (sometimes I develop locally, sometimes I develop on the
network), but if I installed a stand-alone Solr, it would not match
production.  Production is using CF's built-in Solr instance, so that's what
I need to code for.  I _could_ suggest that the company install their own
Solr stand-alone, but it would take months for approval, and is unlikely to
be taken seriously.  :)

-----

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
You could just download Solr and run it by itself (quite easy), sending a
PDF document to the solr /update/extract handler as per that wiki page.

See:
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/4_2_0/tutorial.html

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by JDJ <Ja...@ustranscom.mil>.
Hello, Michael.

Thank you for your suggestion.  I'm unfamiliar with analysis handler.  Do
you have a link, for that?

Much appreciated,

-----

Posted by Michael Della Bitta <mi...@appinions.com>.
You could also use the analysis handler to see if your field
definition strips numeric input.

Michael Della Bitta

Appinions
18 East 41st Street, 2nd Floor