Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Arieh Markel <Ar...@Sun.COM> on 2001/03/21 17:15:46 UTC

to trim or not to trim (was Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/util FileUtil.java)

> list-help: <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> list-post: <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> From: Yoshiyuki Karezaki <ka...@wtank.csk.co.jp>
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/util
FileUtil.java

> Hi arieh,
>
> In article <cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/util
FileUtil.java>,
> 	arieh@apache.org wrote:
> |        public static String patch(String path) {
> |   -	String patchPath = path;
> |   +	String patchPath = path.trim();
>
> The fix of 1.9.2.6 becomes ineffective.
> trim() should be removed ?

Yoshiyuki,

Thanks for your comments.

Before I go ahead with reverting the code to what it was before.

Can you explain why the addition of trim makes the fix ineffective ?

The trim() protects from generating invalid paths that may result
from appended spaces.

Are you suggesting that we don't try to fix the possible existence of
appended spaces (or CR LF) ?

Have you seen any problem with the current version ?

Other opinions ?

Thanks,

Arieh

> Yoshiyuki Karezaki   kare@wtank.csk.co.jp

 Pray for snow !!!!                     Phone: (303) 272-8547 x78547