Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk> on 2007/05/29 09:06:59 UTC

[Axis2] Switch either to maven or maven2

Hi all,

As you all know in Axis2 we have both maven and meven2 build system ,
but I personally think that we need to switch to one of them, and it is
very difficult to continue with two build systems (maintainability
issues). So what do you think abut this , I am ok to go ahead with
maven2 if we have working build system (site , release artifacts etc ...)

Thanks
Deepal

Re: [Axis2] Switch either to maven or maven2

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

Ok, rather than just +1 for a side, this is what I think.

Current maven1 system works !! Yes it is slow, but if you have gone
through the release process, then you will feel how useful current
scripts are. I agree that I do not know maven2 a lot, but I've seen the
speedup that it had given to Axiom build. Yes I agree maven2 will give
speed for the build process.
But until some one writes all the required release goals and the things
Dims had mentioned, I am sort of 0- (my veto is equivalent to 0- ;) )
for removing maven1 scripts. This is discussed long time back and
everyone was eager to maven2, but still none had converted the scripts.
(Look at Axis2-376, if you wanna get a rough idea about when this was
discussed earlier)

I prefer a working good system over a possibly better system.

Just my 2 cents.

Chinthaka

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian De Pradine <PR...@uk.ibm.com>.
+1 for moving to maven2.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Saminda Abeyruwan <sa...@gmail.com>.
As Dims pointed out in a prior thread, it is 2.0.6.

Thank you

Saminda

--
Saminda Abeyruwan

Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc. - www.wso2.org

Re: [Axis2] Switch either to maven or maven2

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Saminda Abeyruwan <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 to Maven2 build. Maven2 can do everything that  Maven1 can do. In the
case of deployment of artifact we can instruct maven2 to either deploy them
as legacy or default.

Thank you

Saminda

On 5/29/07, sumedha rubasinghe <su...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1 for maven2 build.
>
> /sumedha
>
> On 5/29/07, Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As you all know in Axis2 we have both maven and meven2 build system ,
> > but I personally think that we need to switch to one of them, and it is
> > very difficult to continue with two build systems (maintainability
> > issues). So what do you think abut this , I am ok to go ahead with
> > maven2 if we have working build system (site , release artifacts etc
> > ...)
> >
> > Thanks
> > Deepal

Saminda Abeyruwan

Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc. - www.wso2.org

Re: [Axis2] Switch either to maven or maven2

Posted by sumedha rubasinghe <su...@apache.org>.
+1 for maven2 build.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.
+1 for moving to Maven2. If there are problems with the Maven2 build, lets
fix those, and after some time, lets scrap the Maven1 build.

-- Azeez

On 5/29/07, Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As you all know in Axis2 we have both maven and meven2 build system ,
> but I personally think that we need to switch to one of them, and it is
> very difficult to continue with two build systems (maintainability
> issues). So what do you think abut this , I am ok to go ahead with
> maven2 if we have working build system (site , release artifacts etc ...)
>
> Thanks
> Deepal

Thanks
Afkham Azeez

http://www.wso2.org

Re: [Axis2] Switch either to maven or maven2

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
After trying HARD to get up and running on maven2 for some other
projects, I personally still very much prefer maven1..

IMHO Axis2 is now a some what matured project, where most of the
pieces are stable.. Axis2 maven1 build works fine for almost all the
parts of Axis2 except for the maven2 plugings.. I do not see much
advantages on coming up with a new build system deprecating an already
working system.. Given the troubles and known issues of maven2 I do
not think it's worth the hassle. This reminds me the famous quote "if
it ain't broke, don't fix it"..

On the other hand this will also effect almost all the downstream
projects that build on maven1.. If we are coming up with a maven2
build, please make sure to publish artifacts on maven1 repo's too.. I
mean even the SNAPSHOTs..

 I would have been 0+ for maven2 if we are thinking of a new project
or fixing a badly broken maven1 build..  But I'm 0- for moving Axis2
to maven2.

Thanks,
Thilina

Thilina Gunarathne  -  http://www.wso2.com - http://thilinag.blogspot.com