Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Daniel Robert Ferrin <dr...@email.byu.edu> on 1999/10/17 07:28:55 UTC

Jasper and ProjectX jar

I noticed that the taglib support depends on Sun's ProjectX.  Does the Apache
licence allow us to redistribute the projectx-tr2.jar file?  If so are there any
restrictions (such as no modifications to the jar) Or do we need to alter the
taglib support so that we can use some other XML parser if we want do distribute
jasper as fully open source?

Re: Jasper and ProjectX jar

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Daniel Robert Ferrin wrote:

> I noticed that the taglib support depends on Sun's ProjectX.  Does the Apache
> licence allow us to redistribute the projectx-tr2.jar file?  If so are there any
> restrictions (such as no modifications to the jar) Or do we need to alter the
> taglib support so that we can use some other XML parser if we want do distribute
> jasper as fully open source?

The target is to have a pluggable implementation of an XML parser. If
today the source code does not have this "feature", I can guarantee that
it will in the future, and so you will be able to plug up whatever
parser you want.

	Pier
--
Pierpaolo Fumagalli - IBM Center for Java Technologies
<ma...@us.ibm.com>   <ma...@apache.org>

Re: Jasper and ProjectX jar

Posted by James Davidson <du...@x180.com>.
> I noticed that the taglib support depends on Sun's ProjectX.  Does the
Apache
> licence allow us to redistribute the projectx-tr2.jar file?  If so are
there any
> restrictions (such as no modifications to the jar) Or do we need to alter
the
> taglib support so that we can use some other XML parser if we want do
distribute
> jasper as fully open source?

The inclusion of the projectx.jar file is under section B2 of the Project X
license (see the download page) which allows binary redistribution of the
.jar file. No modifications can be made to it.

I'm sure that some people are going to be making the XML parser requirements
of Tomcat more pluggable so that other XML parsers can be used.

.duncan