Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Nigel Daley <nd...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2009/01/23 19:03:32 UTC

Should we continue to support Windows?

I'm moving the comment I made on
to core-dev so we can discuss this.

The Jira indicates that there are currently 30 test failures on
Windows.  If this is true, and no one has report Windows test failures
before now (we haven't run Windows tests in a while), then should we
continue to support Windows?

If we *do* continue to support Windows, is anyone motivated to fix
HADOOP-5114?

Nige

Re: Should we continue to support Windows?

Posted by "Tsz Wo (Nicholas), Sze" <s2...@yahoo.com>.
> If this is true, and no one has report Windows test failures
before now (we haven't run Windows tests in a while), then should we
continue to support Windows?

Before answering whether we should continue to support Windows, we
better make sure that "this is true". I ran first 4 tests listed in the
description, TestQueueManager did success in my machine.

Why the tests reported in HADOOP-5114 failed in Windows?  Do these tests only fail in Windows?  We may have codes that not general enough for running in all platforms but it is unlikely that our codes specifically not working in Windows.  I am afraid that similar problem may be observed in other platforms as well.

Nicholas Sze

RE: Should we continue to support Windows?

Posted by "Jim Kellerman (POWERSET)" <Ji...@microsoft.com>.
I do all my development on Windows, but only run tests in a single
process (using MiniDFSCluster, MiniMRCluster, MiniHBaseCluster, etc.)
For big tests, HBase uses a small Linux cluster.

However, given my employer, I would say that supporting Windows
is a good thing.

---
Jim Kellerman, Powerset (Live Search, Microsoft Corporation)

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Steve Loughran wrote:
>> 4. It looks like nobody bothers to test the release regularly on windows.
>
> Um, we test releases before they are released.  We don't need to test
> them any more regularly than that.  It would be good to test trunk and
> perhaps active branches more regularly so that we're less surprised come
> releases.  Is that what you meant?
>
> Doug

I think a CI server should somehow do the build and test on windows,
even if nobody goes to the extent of bringing up a windows cluster and
trying things out there.

For Ant, we stopped supporting Win9x when we ran out of machines to test
it on, and got fed up with fielding the main source of platform-specific
support calls: the batch files. It was just too much hassle, and without
the machines, no way to be sure that you hadn't regressed and put a
windows-nt specific bit into the .BAT.

Re: Should we continue to support Windows?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
>> HADOOP-5114. The problem seems to be in ConnectException.
>> The rest is just how it is revealed by different servers/clients.
>
> If this is indeed just a single bug that's causing 30 tests to fail, I'm
> not sure it's yet time to abandon Windows compatibility.  It would
> surely be nice to, but I suspect there are large numbers of folks who
> use Hadoop on Windows but who are not well represented among Hadoop
> developers (i.e., who regularly use trunk) and who would be dismayed if
> we stopped supporting Windows.
>
> If we really want to pursue this, we should perhaps first conduct a poll
> on core-users.
>
> Doug

1. I do think windows as client is important
2. I also think that windows standalone is useful, for people that
havent yet made the jump to unix.
3. I dont know of anyone who runs a production cluster on windows: and
if they do, they havent been reporting the problems which are bound to arise
4. It looks like nobody bothers to test the release regularly on
windows. I think at some point this is something I could set up with our
Hudson server, though I dont like VMWare-image tests as things are more
brittle than raw machine (timing issues, usually). First I need to move
my patches to Git so that hudson can see what I've been doing.

A very large percentage of people's client machines is windows; its only
recently I've moved my laptops over to Linux, and I do think that client
stuff is very important. For OSS applications, that means running the
tests matters, otherwise nobody who uses windows will be able to send in
patches that you will trust, because all the tests will fail.

The other thing is that failing tests are good, they show that the tests
are detecting trouble.

Re: Should we continue to support Windows?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Nigel Daley wrote:
> We either support it or we don't.  "Unofficial" support is no support.
> Defining "badly break" will be impossible.

Right. It is vague and subjective. I think any policy that that does not
go as far saying "we don't support Windows" is good enough for now.

Raghu.

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Chris K Wensel <ch...@wensel.net>.
fwiw, we require students to bring Linux/Solaris/OS X laptops or a vm
with linux/solaris to our classes.

allowing Windows users to run MR apps in local mode (in an IDE for
example) would be good to support.

otherwise I'm wondering if officially not supporting Windows for
deployment will simplify things and free Hadoop developers in some
fashion.

ckw

--
Chris K Wensel
chris@wensel.net

Re: Should we continue to support Windows?