Posted to users@maven.apache.org by HHB <hu...@yahoo.ca> on 2009/01/26 11:30:39 UTC

Sharing my Maven repository

Hey,
My laptop is loaded with a respectful local Maven repository, is it possible
to share it with my friends?
I mean does copy and past the folder serve the purpose?
Thanks.

RE: Sharing my Maven repository

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Also having to rely on a single local repo as the master is going to
burn you eventually. You also won't be able to do the best practices
mentioned here[1] like have separate repos and cleaning the repo out
nightly.

[1]
http://blogs.sonatype.com/people/2009/01/maven-continuous-integration-be
st-practices/

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
"start uploading artifacts there that are necessary for your projects."
Well, actually no. Only if you want to explicitly validate each artifact you
want to be used or only YOUR artifacts. The rest (public opensource jars...)
will be downloaded by the MRM like a classical web cache server does.

"I've always got away with existing public repositories."
Which is quite acceptable when developing as an individual and just trying
things. But when behind say a continuous integration server, it becomes
dangerous since network problems could directly affect your builds. Having a
mrm will permit your CI to run just fine even if some repo (or the whole
Internet access) becomes temporarily unavailable. And I don't even insist on
performances: downloading locally will obviously run an order of magnitude
faster than accessing public repositories.

Cheers.

2009/1/26 Milos Kleint <Mi...@sun.com>

> when you think of local repository, think of it as a cache of various
> remote repositories only.
> you should probably install a repository manager and start uploading
> artifacts there that are necessary for your projects. In the way that the
> repository manager supports.. not sure what that is exactly, I've always got
> away with existing public repositories.
>
> Milos
>

> HHB wrote:
>
>> I want to copy/upload/transfer (not sure what is right) my local Maven
>> repository to our Continuous Integration server (Hudson).
>> Not sure what is the best practice for this? Do I have to use a tool like
>> Apache Archiva?
>> Sorry, I'm new to Maven
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Baptiste MATHUS-4 wrote:
>>

>>> Well, yes you could copy it to other development machine. But it's not
>>> the
>>> best way to do it. You should install and configure a maven repository
>>> manager (See http://maven.apache.org/repository-management.html).
>>>
>>> Some of those tools have even the ability to scan a local repository like
>>> the one you have to transform it (i.e. add the right metadata) to make it
>>> remote repository.
>>>
>>> Cheers.

>>> --
>>> Baptiste <Batmat> MATHUS - http://batmat.net
>>> Sauvez un arbre,
>>> Mangez un castor !

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: Sharing my Maven repository

Posted by Milos Kleint <Mi...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by HHB <hu...@yahoo.ca>.
I want to copy/upload/transfer (not sure what is right) my local Maven
repository to out Continuous Integration server.

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
Well, yes you could copy it to other development machine. But it's not the
best way to do it. You should install and configure a maven repository
manager (See http://maven.apache.org/repository-management.html).

Some of those tools have even the ability to scan a local repository like
the one you have to transform it (i.e. add the right metadata) to make it a
remote repository.

Cheers.

2009/1/26 HHB <hu...@yahoo.ca>

> Hey,
> My laptop is loaded with a respectful local Maven repository, is it
> possible
> to share it with my friends?
> I mean does copy and past the folder serve the purpose?
> Thanks.

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !