Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by RobertH <ro...@abbacomm.net> on 2009/01/26 06:53:54 UTC

proper way to design rules on this?

what is the proper way to write a rule that checks for a few things and then
scores accordingly

basically, i get emails from a church i didnt subscribe to their email
list(s) etc...

news@victorysomething.com

i see icontact.com and icptrack.com as part of urls in the email for click
or subscription management

plus, i would only want to reject if sent to my specific email address.

do i work at and write several rules and do a META ?

since others on the system may get emails from this place, i only want to
reject if to my email address, and i will be SMTP rejecting

;-)

 - rh

Re: proper way to design rules on this?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
RobertH wrote:
> what is the proper way to write a rule that checks for a few things and then
> scores accordingly
>
> basically, i get emails from a church i didnt subscribe to their email
> list(s) etc...
>
> news@victorysomething.com
>
> i see icontact.com and icptrack.com as part of urls in the email for click
> or subscription management
>
> plus, i would only want to reject if sent to my specific email address.
>
> do i work at and write several rules and do a META ?

In SpamAssassin, this is the easiest way to do it. Be sure to read the
meta rules section of

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/WritingRules

Your other options are:

1) write a rule that examines the "ALL" pseudo-header. However, this
gets messy since the from and to could be in different orders. It's also
not terribly efficient.

2) write a custom plugin and an eval rule for it. This is really massive
overkill, and a lot of work to create. It is also not any faster than
the meta.