Posted to pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org by Bill Janssen <ja...@parc.com> on 2010/03/21 00:07:14 UTC

finding jni.h on OS X

While I was looking at setup.py, the default location for OS X also
looked a bit dodgy.  I asked about it on the Apple java-dev mailing
list, and got back the attached reply.

I believe what he's saying is that you should always have the developer
SDK installed to build on OS X, and you should reference the headers
though that SDK rather than by looking in /System/Library/...  I know I
ran into trouble in 2009 trying to build pylucene on pre-release Snow
Leopard, because the JNI headers were only in the SDK.

Bill

Re: finding jni.h on OS X

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Mar 20, 2010, at 16:07, Bill Janssen <ja...@parc.com> wrote:

> While I was looking at setup.py, the default location for OS X also
> looked a bit dodgy.  I asked about it on the Apple java-dev mailing
> list, and got back the attached reply.
>
> I believe what he's saying is that you should always have the
> developer
> SDK installed to build on OS X, and you should reference the headers
> though that SDK rather than by looking in /System/Library/...  I
> know I
> ran into trouble in 2009 trying to build pylucene on pre-release Snow
> Leopard, because the JNI headers were only in the SDK.

Fine, anyone can edit setup.py to reference the SDK instead of the
current default if they so desire. The problem is that I can't guess
the SDK location. It could be installed anywhere. Since it's so huge I
usually put it elsewhere than the default location, for example.

The current /System/Library default location has worked well for
years, no need to solve a problem where there is none.

Andi..