Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by "Zimmermann, Patrick" <pa...@haltec.de> on 2016/06/16 14:11:38 UTC

Collation

Hello,

I'm currently looking at an issue where POI is using a different collation
strategy than my Excel in VLOOKUP() searches. (Excel 2013, DE)
But before I start working on this I'd like to know what's already there.
I don't expect answers to all questions, but if someone has knowledge to
share I'd like to hear.

- Is there any documentation on sorting in Excel?
- Is the sorting order in Excel dependent on the system locale or the
language of Excel?
- Is sorting in Excel consistent across the different features that make use
of sorting (autofilter, sort table, VLOOKUP(), .)?
- Is there already any logic in POI that tries to mimic Excels sorting?
VLOOKUP() seems to use Javas `.compareToIgnoreCase()` which boils down to
`charOne - charTwo` (see LookupUtils.java:311).

Patrick Zimmermann