Posted to users@maven.apache.org by houzecl <ch...@etat.ge.ch> on 2007/10/04 12:38:24 UTC

Maven Repositories acess / servers / signon specs in settings.xml

Hi,

Here are 2 questions about Maven Internal Repositories implementation, and
protocols that can be used. (because of unclear doc - imo - about
repositories, wagon, and settings.xml (id/user/pwd) )

statement 1 (before question 1)
>From what I've read on wagon's site (http://maven.apache.org/wagon/), it is
possible for maven repository access to use:

    * File (download/upload)
    * HTTP (download only)
    * HTTP lightweight (download only)
    * FTP (download/upload)
    * SSH/SCP (upload only / download not fully tested)
    * WebDAV (upload only / download not fully tested)
    * SCM (in progress)

question 1: is this information up to date ?

statement 2 (before question 2)
Until now, I've used Maven (internal) repositories with file system access
(file://) for download and upload. This is no problem... everything works
fine :-)
Now, I am in the process of implementing our internal repositories on Unix
server, and securing these repositories, without using (at this time) any
repository manager (archiva, artifactory, ...)
I want to use something very very reliable: therefore, giving that we have
to put the repositories on unix server and we want to access them from
windows and unix maven clients the following solution seems appropriate:
=> for artifacts download, use an http server
=> for artifacts upload, use an ftp server (or a webdav server)

regarding the repository definitions, our corporate pom should look like:

	<distributionManagement>
		<repository>
			<id>internalDeploy</id>
			<name>
				company released artifacts
			</name>
			<url>ftp://mvnftpserver/maven2repository</url>
		</repository>
	<repositories>
		<repository>
			<id>internalShared</id>
			<name>
				company released artifacts
			</name>
		</repository>

when it gets to security, the "Security and Deployment Settings" doc
(http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-deployment-security-settings.html)
is not really clear: Before its given example, it states: "As of the first
release, only SCP deployments and file deployments are supported by default,
so only the following SCP configuration is needed: ..." on the other hand,
latest Maven book gives an example with ftp. so ..

question 2:
If both servers need a signon (possibly with different user/password ) will
it be ok to have for Maven users the following settings.xml :

    <server>
        <id>internalDeploy</id>
        <username>ftp_user</username>
        <password>blabla</password>
    </server>

    <server>
        <id>internalShared</id>
        <username>user_xyz</username>
        <password>blabla</password>
    </server>

and more generally what is the usage scope of the <server> ... </server>
specs in settings.xml ?

Thanks for any additionnal info,

Christian-Luc

Re: Maven Repositories acess / servers / signon specs in settings.xml

Posted by houzecl <ch...@etat.ge.ch>.
well, I already looked at settings reference. As it is pointed out somewhere
else in this forum (cf. "why maven is hard" or "improving maven site docs")
among others topics, this specific feature (security) is not really clear,
and I'd just like  to have a confirmation that server settings apply to any
repository server (wether it is ftp, http, webdav,...) before setting up all
of it.

Regarding documentation issues, in the settings reference one can find for
the <server> element:
configuration: 	Extra configuration for the transport layer.
id: 	No description.

I am not sure that "No description" or "extra configuration for the
transport layer" is really helpful.

Also, I forgot about build extensions. Maven site doc states:

"To publish to the repository, you will need to have access via one of SCP,
SFTP, FTP, WebDAV, or the filesystem. Connectivity is accomplished with the
various wagons . Some wagons may need to be added as extension  to your
build." Then if you jump to "extension", it states:

 Describes a build extension to utilise.
Element 	Description
groupId 	The group ID of the extension's artifact.
artifactId 	The artifact ID of the extension.
version 	The version of the extension.

Well, i'm not sure this really helps. So let's go to the book "Maven: The
Definitive Guide". Fortunately, here it says an extension is needed for
transport others than (file and http) and gives an example for FTP.

Okay, now I know that i'll need extensions for ftp or webdav.
What will be the impact of these extensions, when I'll have to initialize my
repositories with some manual deployments ? For this, Maven site
(http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-3rd-party-jars-remote.html)
states:

First, the wagon-provider(wagon-ftp, wagon-file, etc..) must be placed to
your %M2_HOME%/lib.

but some more google search will take me to:

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Deploying+3rd+Party+Jars+With+WebDAV,
or
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-deploy-plugin/faq.html#question

Plus, there is nothing about each respective wagon-provider within the wagon
site. Which link should I trust ? How do I know exactly which jars are
really needed ?

Please, forgive me if I look pushy. I am very grateful for all Maven's
developers work and anwers people are giving in this forum. It's just not
that easy to get reliable and appropriate information, probably because
Maven (by its extensible plugin nature) explodes it.

Posted by Damien Lecan <ml...@dlecan.com>.
Hello,