Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org> on 2006/01/22 18:11:06 UTC

InstallationGuide context examples and ampersands

Every time I edit the InstallationGuide pages I either screw up the
&amp; entities in the context.xml examples or find that someone else
has. It really makes it a pain to edit either of these pages.

This time it was me; editing with Firefox 1.5.  I was eventually able to
get the &amp; entities corrected after switching to IE and trying a few
different alternatives.  Not sure exactly which combination worked.  The
behavior appears to differ if you preview or not.  If you preview and
then hit Keep Editing rather than back, your &amp; may become an &,
despite what you saw in the preview.  You'll see about 3 different
versions in the wiki change log as I fumble with this.

The issues with &amp; treatment in browsers can bite both when we edit
this page (whether you touch these portions or not), and apparently also
at times when users cut and paste from the page.

Long ago I attached downloadable versions of these files in order to try
to avoid issues related to browsers interpreting the &amp; entities, and
added a recommendation that people use them.   By my own informal
reckoning, this did indeed cut down on the number of issues related to
incorrect ampersands in URLs.

At this point I'd like to suggest that we go entirely with the
downloadable versions of these files and drop the inline versions from
the wiki page.  For my part, I'm very reluctant to spend any more of my
time fixing &amp; signs on the wiki anymore.

Frustrated,
--a.

Re: InstallationGuide context examples and ampersands

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
Indeed I still support that position in general, but in this particular
case, I'm only arguing a much less radical step, namely to remove the
inline copies of the context xml files from the wiki page, and just
refer to the downloadable attachments.  This only affects the
InstallationGuide page(s) of the wiki.

--a.

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.