Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Stefanos Karasavvidis <st...@msc.gr> on 2003/07/28 19:28:58 UTC

Re: AW: AW: [5.0] Connector default configuration + connection timeou t

Section 14.45 of HTTP 1.1 states:
The Via general-header field MUST be used by gateways and proxies to
indicate the intermediate protocols and recipients between the user
agent and the server on requests, and between the origin server and
the client on responses......

This means that if a proxy is involved there will be a Via header.

Moreover there is the X-Forwarded-For header (NOT part of the standard)
used for example by squid proxy, which indicates the original host
issuing the request.

Of course nothing prohibits a DoS host to insert these headers to fake a
proxy!!

Stefanos

Fischer, Ilona wrote:

> IMHO it's the definition of a proxy to send/recive requests instead of
> client... that means only the proxy was talking with the webserver -> in the
> HTTP-header was only the IP of the Proxy
>
> Regards :o)
> Ilona

Stefanos Karasavvidis
Electronic & Computer Engineer