Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> on 2016/11/10 07:19:06 UTC

Fwd: New git mirror created: incubator.git

What's the plan for the website migration? When do we plan to cut over?

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 3:36 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> Roman,
>
> Here's where I sent out the experiment idea to the group -
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/927db43fa0221bcf862088d495be2d15ce433c4bd20f4de8715bb8ae@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
>
> There's actually been quite a few colorful conversations about this on
> hipchat with infra.  Ranging from naming the test domain to "
> johndament-test.apache.org" to "we need to split the incubator repo."  Its
> also highlighted a few challenges Greg didn't realize were there -
> something's broke a bit in buildbot when it comes to adding new configs.
> The other interesting thing, it's almost all self service.  Other than
> whatever work is needed to add the host/URI, its all there for any PMC
> member to kick off a prototype quickly using the new services from infra.

Thanks for the background. I guess my biggest question is what's
the easiest way to keep an eye on this experiment. Given my time
constraints I can't volunteer to help with direct contributions, but
given how personally excited I am about the direction -- I'd be more
than happy to serve as a user guinea pig.

> My goal - purely selfish - to avoid the extra build required to have a
> podling's website update, so that no one has to login to CMS to promote
> their chanes.  This is going to require a lot of extra documentation
> though, those updating the website don't seem to know how to check it
> locally.  There was an issue with metron recently where they deleted their
> landing page due to an error in HTML syntax.  By automating from the commit
> level, the website changes go live when someone pushes their code up.

Totally hear you! In fact, truth be told, everytime I nee to update podling
status I feel like that extra level of things I need to do forces me to do
only bulk updates. If we can fix that by making the process super simple
that'd be awesome!

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: New git mirror created: incubator.git

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Roman,

[...]

John