Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Nick Faiz <ni...@ce.com.au> on 2003/10/08 10:29:00 UTC

having trouble loading ActionServlet on startup

Hi,
	This is my first post to this list and I'm hoping it will have a
quick answer for the problem I'm encountering. I've googled on this issue
quite a bit and know I am not the first to encounter it. I can't seem to
find a direct suggestion of how to solve the problem, however.

	My application can't load the ActionServlet on startup. I'm coding
this for WebLogic 7.0 at the moment, and will consider using Tomcat or JBoss
(with Tomcat) as an alternative target to test out these issues.

	I've checked that struts.jar is within WEB-INF/lib.

	I'm probably seeing a configuration problem as I can successfully
deploy and click through the struts-blank.war example.

	I'm working through various Struts tutorials and using a base
configuration. Here's a copy of the relevant section from my web.xml:

  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>config</param-name>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>debug</param-name>
      <param-value>2</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>detail</param-name>
      <param-value>2</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>

	I'm seeing the following exception when deploying the application:

<8/10/2003 17:54:17> <Error> <HTTP> <101216> <Servlet: "action" failed to
preload on startup in weba
pp: "cepts"
javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Parsing error processing resource path
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.handleConfigException(ActionServlet.j
ava:1035)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.parseModuleConfigFile(ActionServlet.j
ava:1014)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.initModuleConfig(ActionServlet.java:9
55)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.init(ActionServlet.java:470)

	Any help is appreciated.

	Lastly, could anyone recommend a good Struts book or favourite
tutorial? The O'Reilly publication is what I'm opting towards now.

Regards,
Nick Faiz
B2B e-Commerce Developer
Corporate Express Australia Ltd.