Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Erik Forsberg <fo...@opera.com> on 2016/05/23 07:52:11 UTC

upgradesstables/cleanup/compaction strategy change

Hi!

I have a 2.0.13 cluster which I have just extended, and I'm now looking
into upgrading it to 2.1.

* The cleanup after the extension is partially done.
* I'm also looking into changing a few tables into Leveled Compaction
Strategy.

In the interest of speeding up things by avoiding unnecessary rewrites
of data, I'm pondering if I can:

1. Upgrade to 2.1, then run cleanup instead of upgradesstables getting
cleanup + upgrade of sstable format to ka at the same time?

2. Upgrade to 2.1, then change compaction strategy and get LCS + upgrade
of sstable format to ka at the same time?

Comments on that?

Thanks,
\EF

Re: upgradesstables/cleanup/compaction strategy change

Posted by Vitalii Skakun <vi...@gmail.com>.
I'm sorry, I've just noticed I missed to type a few words

1. Before the upgrade, always make sure you have sstables on the latest
version of the current Cassandra version you are running (by running
nodetool upgradesstables on all nodes - if they are latest, they should
return almost immediately; but if you have lots of compactions already in
the queue, and few slots, it still might take a bit more time, from several
seconds till 1-2 minutes, as I observed).

--

----
with best regards,

Re: upgradesstables/cleanup/compaction strategy change

Posted by Vitalii Skakun <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--

----