Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jens Theisen <je...@gmx.de> on 2006/08/08 22:38:45 UTC

[users@httpd] how to customise response to OPTIONS request?

Hello,

I have a cgi application and want to add basic webdav functionality. I
wonder if it is an option to implement webdav on the cgi level.

I appreciate I can add request handlers for requests unkown to apache,
but I need to modify the behaviour of the OPTIONS request as well. In
particular, I need to insert the header

DAV: 1

and perhaps some more windows-specific headers.

I tried the headers module, but appears to ignore OPTIONS requests.

Does anyone has any further ideas?

Thank you very much,

Jens

[users@httpd] Re: how to customise response to OPTIONS request?

Posted by Jens Theisen <je...@gmx.de>.
Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> What do you mean by "add basic webdav functionality" to a cgi app?

I mean implement a level 1 webdav server with a cgi interface. A
PROPFIND, for instance, would be served by the cgi application in the
same way the GET and POSTs already are.

> You may be able to get away with allowing mod_dav to control a particular directory and leaving cgi everywhere else, depending on what exactly you're trying to do.

I don't think that will work. WebDAV gives the contents of directories
recursively. Whichever URI you give to a WebDAV client must support the
DAV header on an OPTIONS request (though not all clients bother, but
windows is). A PROPFIND on that resource needs to tell even about
grandchildren rather than only direct subdirectories. Thus, mod_dav
would at least need to serve all the properties I think and in
particular have knowledge about all the content.

I found someone's posting on an apache list who was trying to do the
same thing, and he wasn't helped either. I suppose it's patching apache
or forget the cgi approach with it.

Cheers,

Jens

Re: [users@httpd] how to customise response to OPTIONS request?

Posted by Brandon Fosdick <bf...@bfoz.net>.

Posted by Jens Theisen <je...@gmx.de>.
Vincent Bray wrote:
> Try Script,

I tried this already; this was what I was refering to when I said I
already figured out how to server requests unkown to apache.

The OPTIONS request, however, can't be served that way - possibly to
prevent the average user from changing the Server header. :)

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
On 8/8/06, Jens Theisen <je...@gmx.de> wrote:
> I have a cgi application and want to add basic webdav functionality. I
> wonder if it is an option to implement webdav on the cgi level.

Try Script,
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_actions.html#script

If the objects you wish to interact with via DAV methods exist in your
DocumentRoot, Action from the same module may help too.

--
noodl