Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by Anthony Fryer <ap...@hotmail.com> on 2012/07/18 11:37:07 UTC

war packaged exclusions.list

I currently use exclusions.list in my tomee/conf folder to prevent tomee
scanning jars in my WEB-INF/lib for a war file that i deploy but i have to
do this in every environment that i deploy my webapp to.  I was wondering if
there is any way of packaging up a file in the war itself that can tell
tomee not to scan specified jar files?  I'm thinking of something like a
WEB-INF/exclusions.list that you could put in your war file that tomee would
look at to work out what jar files it should not scan.

Re: war packaged exclusions.list

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
When it's easy no reason to wait ;)

Posted by Anthony Fryer <ap...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

- Romain

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
just retested your test project i'm about 13s each time

about myfaces the config reading is the part which takes time for me

the other part which takes time is tomcat scanning and we are working to
remove it.

- Romain

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
I dont think so. I tested in conf/ only btw.

Maybe we should look if wa can speed up myfaces. But seam will still be
slow i think :(

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
look  http://openejb.apache.org/singleton-beans.html  part "Startup and
Startup Ordering"
the idea is to keep you postconstruct of bean B associated with startup
then instead of doing your stuff in postconstruct you delegate to a bean A
which is in dependson of B and you call the method populate() of A which is
a business method async.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
async will lead to issues in general, better to avoid it i think.

optimizations should be possible elsewhere.

about logs use conf/logging.properties. Just a JULI conf.

- Romain

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
the warning is not important but you shouldnt see any startup time
difference

the difference should be from sthg else i think

- Romain

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1

btw myfaces startup is faster for me on your test app

- Romain

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
Seam = 3s

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by zeeman <ha...@fastmail.us>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 21, 2012, at 4:28 PM, zeeman wrote:

> The only extra thing I have is DB population, which should run in background
> non-blocking, right?
>
> My class looks like this:
>
> @Singleton
> @Startup
> public class DBLoader implements Serializable {
> 	@Asynchronous
> 	@TransactionAttribute
> 	@PostConstruct
> 	public void setup() {
>        //populate DB, index data with Lucene, should not block
> }
> }
>
> The only explanation is that the code is not running Async. I know on Jboss
> there was a bug in @Async implementation, had to get jBoss guys to fix it.

When we (the EJB 3.1 EG) added @Asynchronous methods we were definitely exclusively thinking about method invocations from clients, not lifecycle callbacks made by the container.

It gets very sketchy when you get into @PreDestroy, @BeforeCompletion, @PrePassivate and other such callbacks.  Even @PostConstruct is sketchy as it has an effect on @DependsOn ordering which is supposed to be serial.

So be aware that this is outside the outside the EJB 3.1 spec, there are no TCK tests to cover this and your app is not portable.

What I might recommend instead and what will be portable is to just create a job and fire it off via the TimerService.

The following uses the @PostConstruct to fire off a non-persistent timer for "now".

    @Singleton
    @Startup
    public class DBLoader implements Serializable {

        @Resource
        private TimerService timerService;

        @TransactionAttribute
        @PostConstruct
        public void setup() {
            timerService.createSingleActionTimer(0, new TimerConfig(null, false));
        }

        @Timeout
        public void loadDb(Timer timer) {
            // do your thing
        }
    }

Re: war packaged exclusions.list

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Using dependson and init through another bean async should work

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Should postconstruct be async? Not sure. Tx mgt is optional too i guess (to
check).

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Weird, my first boot was 17s, then i got 13s with exclusions.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
i had some gain excluding:
jgroups-
postgresql-
freemarker-
avro-
drools-
joda-time-
lucene-
picket
ui-

can you give it a try?

another thing to test is to decrease log level

well the general rule is to exclude big jars.

Another note: the startup should be faster after the first one since tomcat
caches some files.

- Romain

Posted by zeeman <ha...@fastmail.us>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
can you fix it with tomee plugin please?

currently i get Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/drools/runtime/ObjectFilter

the idea is i do mvn package -Dmaven.test.skip=true tomee:build

then i go in target/apache-tomee and start it

is it possible?

Posted by zeeman <ha...@fastmail.us>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
if you can just fix it to make a start working out of the box?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Try to share an app well look ;)

Posted by zeeman <ha...@fastmail.us>.

Posted by Anthony Fryer <ap...@hotmail.com>.
Yep..got some spring in there (mvc)...but its on its way out eventually.

Re: war packaged exclusions.list

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
you can say you are using spring, nobody will shout :p

- Romain

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
if you think it is buggy rename excluded jar tomee-<normal-name>.jar, those
will be excluded by default

the compromise to find is here, using scan.xml you'll multiply <number of
info> the time of scanned classes processing (there is a shortcut here but
it means you loose time for scanned classes and gain for not scanned
classes).

exclusion gain should be a bit more important

but i noticed for small app scanning without any scan config is realy
faster so maybe you are "in the middle".

sharing your app we could dig further i guess

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
are you under an unix OS?

ls <you app exploded>/WEB-INF/lib/*.jar | grep -v seam | grep -v prettyface
| grep -v solder ?

was just to give it a try and see if the scan.xml was slower or not (it can
depend on your app)

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
i don't think we log it, maybe in debug

which time do you expect? with solder and seam 17s seems (lol) fine, no?
these extensions can be pretty time consuming from what i tested

what if you put exclusions in conf? is it faster?

- Romain

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
first if you are in a war can you give it a try in WEB-INF/scan.xml?

then can you share something (always easier to see the failure locally)

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
there are other cases where you don't want tomee manage your jar: when you
use JEE API with spring for instance.

- Romain

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 18, 2012, at 9:04 AM, zeeman wrote:

> Hi Anothony,
>
> What are you excluding? Is that something to improve performance?

Scanning has a huge impact on startup performance and a brief impact on memory.

The way the EE specs are written we have to scan all jars "just in case" they might have a class with @Stateless or @ManagedBean or @WebServlet, etc.  But if you know which jars are your code and which are third-party libs, you can get a tremendous boost letting us know via the scan.xml file.

List the jars where your code lives via the scan.xml file and things will be quite snappy on startup.

-David

Re: war packaged exclusions.list

Posted by zeeman <ha...@fastmail.us>.
Hi Anothony,

What are you excluding? Is that something to improve performance?

The response on Tomee is amazing. I love Apache community.