Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by Chris <La...@dcpromo.com> on 2010/11/04 20:29:01 UTC

Agree to upgrade to VS2010?

Just to put some movement behind a common sentiment, does everyone agree that the project should be upgraded to VS2010, and still keep the target framework at 2.0?

I think we should consider a few things before upgrading the target framework such as:
- Do we want Lucene.NET to run on multiple platforms such as:
     * Windows CE
     * Compact Framework
     * Windows Micro
     * Windows Phone
     * Mono compatibility?
- Are we going to take advantage of language enhancements in the given framework
- ...?

Chris

Re: Agree to upgrade to VS2010?

Posted by Ben Martz <be...@gmail.com>.
Unless we plan to implement VS2010-specific features or upgrade the target framework I'm not sure what the motivation would be to replace the solution file itself other than locking out anyone who chooses to use an older (supported) platform.

Once you perform the local upgrade a new VS2010 solution file exists separately from the existing VS2005 solution file and doesn't interfere in any way with the ability to build or update the source files from SVN and so on.

Just my 2c. I'm using VS2010 so it doesn't affect my usage either way.

Cheers,
Ben

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
Upgrading to VS2010 would alienate anyone who is on VS2008, which probably
has the largest install base at the moment.

I think that there should be three different solution files, one for VS2005,
VS2008, and VS2010. This way, regardless of which IDE the developer is
using, they can work with the code. This is not very difficult to do.

Thanks,
Troy

Posted by Chris <La...@dcpromo.com>.
And to make things easier, I do remember seeing a trick where you can automatically & dynamically add all files under a given folder, by simply editing the .csproj file with the "*.*" directive.

I do know this is definitely possible, but forget if anything else is needed.

Posted by Wyatt Barnett <wy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Derek Finlen <DF...@ahmdirect.com>.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Wyatt Barnett <wy...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Gotcha -- the way I've seen it done is one has:
>
> /src
> --Solution_2005.sln
> --Solution_2008.sln
> --Solution_2010.sln
>
> And committers can open the one they want.
>
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think the primary concern here isn't for users you download the source
> and
> > compile, but for new committers... If you have VS2010, and you open a
> VS2005
> > solution, it will just work, but if you modify that solution (add or
> remove
> > a file, etc), then save, ther'es no way to save to a VS2005 solution. You
> > will end up with VS2010 format. Committing that solution back the repo
> would
> > cause an upgrade.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Troy
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Arne Claassen <ar...@mindtouch.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I'd prefer if we didn't. My primary dev is still VS2k8. I can easily
> open a
> >> VS2k5 solution, but of a VS2k10 is basically unusable.
> >>
> >> Arne Claassen
> >>
> >> MindTouch
> >> San Diego, CA
> >> http://twitter.com/sdether
> >>

> >> On Nov 4, 2010, at 12:29 PM, Chris wrote:
> >>
> >>  Just to put some movement behind a common sentiment, does everyone
> agree
> target

###

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wyatt Barnett <wy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Digy <di...@gmail.com>.
Correction:

(Having some hesitations about the future location of the Lucene.Net doesn't mean that I DON'T like some disciplines of ASF).

Posted by Ciaran Roarty <ci...@gmail.com>.
I think the real question is which version do we want to target - seems like
.NET 2 is getting most traction; I'd be keener on 3.5 but I understand the
reticence to move. The dev environment is a question for the comitters to
decide who will ultimately be a subset of this discussion ( hopefully ).

Ciaran

Posted by Moray McConnachie <mm...@oxford-analytica.com>.
I would not be in favour of a move to VS2010 without alternative
solution files. Such a move might be more appropriate for consideration
at a change of major version. If a change is needed now I say go to VS
2008 not 2010.

Yours,
Moray

-------------------------------------
Moray McConnachie
Director of IT    +44 1865 261 600
Oxford Analytica  http://www.oxan.com

--
Simone Chiaretta
Microsoft MVP ASP.NET - ASPInsider
Blog: http://codeclimber.net.nz
RSS: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/codeclimber
twitter: @simonech

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
"Life is short, play hard"

Disclaimer

This message and any attachments are confidential and/or privileged. If this has been sent to you in error, please do not use, retain or disclose them, and contact the sender as soon as possible.

Oxford Analytica Ltd
Registered in England: No. 1196703
5 Alfred Street, Oxford
United Kingdom, OX1 4EH

Re: Agree to upgrade to VS2010?

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Neel <mi...@gmail.com>.

--
Michael C. Neel (@ViNull)
http://www.ViNull.com

Re: Agree to upgrade to VS2010?

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
Digy,

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
Digy,

Posted by Digy <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
Digy,

Posted by Ben Martz <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris <La...@dcpromo.com>.

Posted by Wyatt Barnett <wy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arne Claassen <ar...@mindtouch.com>.

Posted by Heath Aldrich <ha...@aes2.com>.
I have no problem with the 2010 move but I think the 2.0 framework makes sense.