Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Harsha Siriwardena <ha...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/17 03:45:38 UTC

Newbie dev help - Isis

Hi all,

My name is Harsha Siriwardena, I am a Software Developer from Colombo.
Really interested to contribute this project Apache Isis. I have a lil
problem where I can get more information about getting started as a
developer? I am lil bit confused with the source code structure. Where
should i look and learn the basics of the source? And then I wish i could
try to hack a small bug ticket.

I have already done with the maven archtype todo list tutorial and checked
out the source code of isis. I am using IntelliJ as my IDE.

Thank you,
Harsha

Re: Newbie dev help - Isis

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
On 17 March 2014 02:45, Harsha Siriwardena <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My name is Harsha Siriwardena, I am a Software Developer from Colombo.

Hi Harsha, welcome to the dev list. I see you've also subscribed to the
users list.

> Really interested to contribute this project Apache Isis.

Very nice to hear!  I think most people encountering Isis are looking just
to use it rather than contribute to it, but very happy for new contributors
too.

> I have a lil
> problem where I can get more information about getting started as a
> developer? I am lil bit confused with the source code structure.

We (aim to) follow semantic versioning, and release core and components
separately.

./core is the Isis core
./components/objectstores/jdo is jdo/datanucleus objectstore
./components/viewers/restfulobjects is the RO viewer
./components/viewers/wicket is the Wicket viewer
./components/security/file is the File-based security
./components/security/shiro is the Shiro-based security

for archetypes, we reverse-engineer them from the example apps

./example/application/quickstart_wicket_restful_jdo  is the quickstart
(todo) app
./example/archetype/quickstart_wicket_restful_jdo  is the archetype
reverse-engineered from it

./example/application/simple_wicket_restful_jdo is the simple app
./example/archetype/simple_wicket_restful_jdo  is the archetype
reverse-engineered from it

No other code has been released, so you can ignore for now.  It may end up
being mothballed or being resurrected, no decision made on that as yet.

> Where
> should i look and learn the basics of the source?

Best bet is just to ask here, I'll answer as promptly as I can

> And then I wish i could
> try to hack a small bug ticket.

Any particular area?  Wicket, Restful or the Core metamodel?

> I have already done with the maven archtype todo list tutorial and checked
> out the source code of isis. I am using IntelliJ as my IDE.

Good stuff.  Another thing I was gonna do was to get a cleaner build
environment for IntelliJ/Netbeans/Maven-only folks;

Cheers
Dan