Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Alexander L. Belikoff" <ab...@vallinor4.com> on 2004/07/21 05:10:45 UTC

Unsupported RA plugin ABI version (2) for ra_dav.

I'm trying to build subversion in a private directory to play w/ some ideas
and it builds fine. However it doesn't allow me to import any code, giving me
the error:

$ svn import -m "test import" apache file:///home/abel/svnwork/repo
svn: Unsupported RA plugin ABI version (2) for ra_dav.

According to what I see, libsvn_ra_dav.so doesn't even get built. Strace shows
that the binary tries to find libsvn_ra_dav-1.so.0, doesn't find it in the
private installation tree and then falls back to ldconfig PATH which
helpfully serves it /usr/lib/libsvn_ra_dav-1.so.0 from Subversion 1.0.4
provided by the distribution. I assume that this instance is incompatible
with whatever is expected by the up-to-date tree.

Hence the questions:

1. How do I get the thing to build properly?
2. If I have to enable DAV explicitly, then why? One would think that missing
plugin for access type that is not utilized should not be an issue.
3. If I am right about my conclusions above, then why is do those libraries
retain the very same name and version? Shared library versioning was created
specifically to alleviate such issues and upgrading the plugin version for
each ABI change would be a natural step.

In any case, some help w/ building the thing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

P.S. The system is Fedora Core 2

--
Alexander L. Belikoff                      GPG f/pr: 0D58 A804 1AB1 4CD8 8DA9
Bloomberg L.P.                                       424B A86E CD0D 8424 2701

Re: SOLVED: Unsupported RA plugin ABI version (2) for ra_dav.

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 07:48, Alexander L. Belikoff wrote:
> OK, figured this one out. Apparently, if I try to build WITH dav support but
> WITHOUT a copy of neon, the build process decides to use the following
> strategy:
>
> 1. Print a one-line inconspicious warning about neon missing, which would
> result in DAV support being excluded (never mind that I asked for it to be
> in).

When you say "with DAV support", what configure option are you talking
about?  Are you proposing to make a change which would make it
impossible to build with mod_dav_svn but without libsvn_ra_dav?

SOLVED: Unsupported RA plugin ABI version (2) for ra_dav.

Posted by "Alexander L. Belikoff" <ab...@vallinor4.com>.
OK, figured this one out. Apparently, if I try to build WITH dav support but
WITHOUT a copy of neon, the build process decides to use the following
strategy:

1. Print a one-line inconspicious warning about neon missing, which would
result in DAV support being excluded (never mind that I asked for it to be
in).
2. CONTINUE to build without DAV support.
3. Leave me with seemingly working build.

Please tell me this was intended to be that way in order to serve as an
initiation rite for anyone joining in on SVN development. :-)))

Seriously, I'll see if I can hack the autoconf stuff to fail if the above
condition is met. However, it would still make sense to make SVN work without
ra_dav for local access.

Re: Unsupported RA plugin ABI version (2) for ra_dav.

Posted by "Alexander L. Belikoff" <ab...@vallinor4.com>.
On Wednesday 21 July 2004 01:30, David Summers wrote:
> Just curious; why are you trying to build Subversion on FC2 when FC2
> *comes* with Subversion?

'Cause I'm here to help. :-)  Basically, I've made a couple of [hopefully]
useful enhancements to subversion and I prefer actually checking that my
changes work before submitting them to the general public. :-)

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Alexander L. Belikoff wrote:

> I'm trying to build subversion in a private directory to play w/ some ideas
> and it builds fine. However it doesn't allow me to import any code, giving me
> the error:

> P.S. The system is Fedora Core 2

Just curious; why are you trying to build Subversion on FC2 when FC2
*comes* with Subversion?

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt