Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> on 2023/01/10 17:01:30 UTC

[DISCUSS][doc][improve] Update Pulsar site landing page content #349

I noticed last night this PR - https://github.com/apache/pulsar-site/pull/349

I’m not sure about these changes and such changes to our project front page should have as many eyes on them as possible.

Please discuss and approve or comment before merging this PR!

Thank you,
Dave

Re: [DISCUSS][doc][improve] Update Pulsar site landing page content #349

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.
I'm pasting the context described in the PR
<https://github.com/apache/pulsar-site/pull/349> also here:

Pulsar’s landing page has a key role in getting new people “onboard” Apache
Pulsar - effectively getting people from “Pulsar? Never heard about it,
what is it good for?” to “Wow, that’s an amazing platform and seems like it
would fit us great with our needs."

I remember trying to understand what Pulsar is, for which the key source is
mostly the documentation. The latter is currently built more like an
encyclopedia rather than a book (which is another point of discussion).
Once I learned how strong Pulsar is and its features, I took the time to
think what are Pulsar’s strongest qualities, and I tried reflecting that in
the 1st 3 sections of the website landing page:

   - Pulsar catchphrase - 1st sentence
   - Pulsar elevator pitch - 1st paragraph
   - Pulsar features - what does it do?

The main line of thinking for a landing page, in my opinion, is what I call
“gradual timing”, and I’ll explain. A person can hear about Pulsar on
several occasions - it can be a lecture they see at a conference, a blog
post someone reposted, or a tweet from a friend in a WhatsApp group. In
today’s world, a lot of time, you find yourself allocating a very small
amount of learning about something new. You might be holding your phone on
the subway or the bus, on the couch, or taking a break from work, opening
your browser to learn what is this Apache Pulsar you just saw.

My assumption is that the time allocated is increasing in stages:

   - They open the browser, and they allocate 5-10 seconds to get the basic
   idea. This is the goal of the 1st sentence - the catchphrase
   - The catchphrase “hooked” them to read a bit more. Now they are willing
   to spend 30 seconds, this is the goal of the Pulsar elevator pitch - the
   1st paragraph.
   - It did the job, now they get the very basic idea of what Pulsar is,
   and they are intrigued to learn what it is capable of - its features.
   They’ll spend up to 5min reading through the feature list.
   - ...

The goal of this pull request is to take all my knowledge about Pulsar and
summarize in the most effective way into those 3 sections.