Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Ashish Vijaywargiya <as...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2009/04/29 08:36:43 UTC

Question on the resultant Product in Product Lookup while creating Sales Order?

Hello,

Today I created a Sales Order in OFBiz. Then a question came in my mind.
Sharing the same with you all.

On the first screen I provided "DemoCustomer" in "Customer" field.
On next screen we have option to select Order Name, PO Number, Currency
& Choose Catalog (All are optional.)
This is all good.

Now suppose I selected "Demo Catalog" (remains selected as default
option) then in next screen we have option to select "Product" and its
quantity.
I see the Product Lookup shows all the products either it is associated
with "Demo Catalog" or "Test Catalog".
After this I added a new Product in the "TSTLTDADMIN" category that is
associated with the catalog "Test Catalog".
The new product is also shown in the Product Lookup.

Is it correct behavior ?
In my opinion we should only show the products that are associated with
the selected catalog (in my case I selected "Demo Catalog").

Thoughts ?

--
Ashish

Re: Question on the resultant Product in Product Lookup while creating Sales Order?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "David E Jones" <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>
> What are you proposing?
>
> Currently products are constrained by special categories associated  with the catalog, through the ProdCatalogCategory entity. On
> that  entity there is a prodCatalogCategoryTypeId field and there are  various options for it. If you want to limit the products
> that can be  viewed, then you must setup a "View Allow" category. If you want to  restrict the products that can be added to the
> cart then you must  setup a "Purchase Allow" category.
>
> If you don't setup those types of categories, then the catalog can be  used to view or purchase any product, and that is how it is
> designed  to function.
>
> Are you (and everyone who commented in favour of this) saying that you  want to change that behavior? I guess a more general
> question is what  exactly (in terms of data model and default behavior for different  data being present or missing) are you
> proposing to change?
>
> I apologize for the confrontative nature of this message, but it seems  like it is all based on a misunderstanding of how the
> current model  works (which can be seen be testing with the different catalogs in the  current demo data, or looking at the code).

Or even here
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBENDUSER/Apache+OFBiz+Business+Setup+Guide#ApacheOFBizBusinessSetupGuide-catalogCategoryProductSetup
BTW I wonder if we should not add a reference to this document (and maybe some other setups) at
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Documentation+Index#OFBizDocumentationIndex-ConfigurationDocuments ? Without answers I
will do...

Jacques

Posted by Ashish Vijaywargiya <as...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Thanks David for your comment on this.
Please see my comments inline:

David E Jones wrote:

> What are you proposing?

I only proposed to change the behavior of the list returned from the
"Product Lookup" form on the third screen in Sales Order Creation
process in back office application (i.e Ordermgr component).
As that lookup searches all the Product using "Product" entity and
return results using "performFind" service.
WDYT ?

> Currently products are constrained by special categories associated
> with the catalog, through the ProdCatalogCategory entity. On that
> entity there is a prodCatalogCategoryTypeId field and there are
> various options for it. If you want to limit the products that can be
> viewed, then you must setup a "View Allow" category. If you want to
> restrict the products that can be added to the cart then you must
> setup a "Purchase Allow" category.

I agree with you on the Product association with category and category
with the catalog through ProdCatalogCategory entity.
This is what I did.
 >> After this I added a new Product in the "TSTLTDADMIN" category that
is associated with the catalog "Test Catalog".

The second point that you are referring for prodCatalogCategoryTypeId
equals to "View Allow" & "Purchase Allow" are handled in Ecommerce
component and I am fine with this behavior.

> If you don't setup those types of categories, then the catalog can be
> used to view or purchase any product, and that is how it is designed
> to function.

Agree.

> Are you (and everyone who commented in favour of this) saying that you
> want to change that behavior? I guess a more general question is what
> exactly (in terms of data model and default behavior for different
> data being present or missing) are you proposing to change?

No I don't want to change the behavior of existing functionality.

> I apologize for the confrontative nature of this message, but it seems
> like it is all based on a misunderstanding of how the current model
> works (which can be seen be testing with the different catalogs in the
> current demo data, or looking at the code).

No apologies for this, I always take your comment positively & think
that you are helping us to move in right direction (and this is what
everybody want in their life :-) ).
Thanks once again for all your help, David.

--
Ashish

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
What are you proposing?

Posted by aswath narayana <as...@gmail.com>.
+1.
A few days ago there was a similar fix for Purchase orders.  During creation
of purchase order, a Supplier is choosen.  During the selection of products,
only products from the selected supplier is displayed.

-Aswath

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1, yes I agree, showing only products of the selected catalog seems more appropriate

Jacques

From: "Ratnesh Upadhyay" <ra...@gmail.com>

Posted by Ratnesh Upadhyay <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1