Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/12 17:31:18 UTC

Website - Feedback please

Hi,

As mentioned in [1] I started working on the website and the first phase is
ready for review.

My first attempt ended up with something other than what I had originally
planned; which was to move content.  Instead, I worked on the readability of
the website.
I have tried to use a consistent look and feel  across the pages  to make it
easier to find information. In addition, I tried to make the  information
available progressively ( allowing the user to decide if they want to learn
more).

Here is the layout at a high level for the Tuscany Website (
http://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANY/)

   - Home page - On this page you will find the general stuff that apply
   to the whole Tuscany as well as links to each subproject and Downloads.
    - Each subproject has an overview page, for example SCA overview or
   DAS overview. On the overview page you find a brief introduction to the
   subproject and links to resources which are introductory information on the
   subproject, for example white papers, articles, webinar links if any.
   - Each subproject also has a more detailed page for those who want to
   get more info about that particular subproject. For example, SCA Java, SDO
   C++, DAS RDB or DAS LDAP.
   - Each detailed subproject page's navigation bar looks the same and
   provides more detailed information on the project. For example, FAQ,
   Documentation, How to get involved, Downloads, etc.
   - I tried to keep each page's navigation information to the minimum
   information that is needed for that stage in order to make it easier to find
   information.

I'd like your feedback on this phase before we go ahead and put all the
content in place.
-  Is the navigation intuitive?
-  Do we need additional information?

If everyone is happy with the  look and feel, let's try to keep the
consistency across the pages as we add content.

For the next step, I am trying to capture content from the old website, the
old wiki and mailing threads.
Please review the content on the overview pages (already there)  and correct
it if  needed.
There is a lot to be done and any help or feedback is very welcomed :)

Thanks,
Haleh

[1] -
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-tuscany-dev/200704.mbox/%3c2516867c0704041048x759e06c1o507b6a0dd1443af2@mail.gmail.com%3e

Re: Website - Feedback please

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Sorry for the delay. Got busy with day to day job.
Thanks for your feedback.

>>  Need diagrams - we had some nice ones from sebastien and from the old
site that we can use in various places

Please go ahead and add diagrams that you see fit.

 >> Home - Move the page round to make the first thing the statement about
what it
does rather than about incubation.
DONE.

>> - Have a a breaking new section on the bottom of the first page to report
>>the last 3 or so significant events, i.e. provide links directly to the
>>latest releases.
I find this information to be too much on the overview/home page.  Visitor
can find the info on the news and event link or download link.  However, if
this is a common suggestion, I'll add it in.

>>News and Events
>> Appears in General and Community
Fixed
>>Separate "upcoming events and news" into events and news
Done

>> SCA
>>Java SCA
>> Java SCA Subproject? Why subproject in the title of this page.
Done

>>  I like the list of modules I think we should go with the module name
>>from the code and link to a separate
>>   page for each one. (take a look I've made an example). We can then use
>>URLs such as
>>    http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/binding-ws to refer
>>directly to the module description(*)
The idea that I was trying to promote with the website was to progressively
disclose information that visitor wants to know about. They choose to learn
more if they want to.  SCA Java page is a high level view of the SCA Java
project. I agree that module information is good. As Ant suggested a better
place for this information might be  the architecture guide  or  developer
guide.

One problem that I see with these module pages is its upkeep and the effort
to provide content. We already have many links to guides that are in need of
content.

  >> Architecture Guide
  >> >still pointing to the old one

Yes, content needs to be updated by those knowledgeable in this area.

>>    - I still think there should be a developer guide as it fits well
under
>>the guide section. So how about
>>          Guides
>>           User Guide
>>             Architecture Guide
>>             Developer Guide
>>          Resources
>>             Source code
>>             Java Doc

Good idea. Adopted this for all the projects.

>> - SDO
>> - SDO Java
>>     - has an issue management section under development
It was there. Need to check with SDO team on this one.

>>- DAS
>> - seems to be in a slightly different format. We have Java and C++
>>implementations underway so we could follow the patter of SCA and SDO.
There are different flavors of DAS regardless of  each being implemented in
C++ or Java.
The presentation of that page is more geared towards the type of DAS
(support for end sources) that are available than in what language the DAS
is implemented in.
What is your suggestion for DAS page?

Re: Website - Feedback please

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website - Feedback please

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 4/20/07, haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> seeing this page.
>

> >> - DeveloperGuide
>     - I still think there should be a developer guide as it fits well
> under
>
> What is a developer guide and how is the content different than what would
> go into the 'get involved' page under development section?
>
> Here is what I was thinking (perhaps it is not right):
> User Guide would hold things  like:
>      -  Installation/setup information
>      -  user type documentation (SCA concepts and examples, etc)
>      -  How to develop a simple SCA application followed with more
> topics
>
> GetInvolved link would point to information that anyone wanting to
> contribute to SCA Java would need to know about, for example, code
> structure, hints on development, etc.
>

> Haleh
>
> On 4/19/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > module
> > can
> > > > > >
> > http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/binding-wsto

> > well,
> > > page"?
> deep
> > > service"
> > page
> binding-ws-xml,
> > interface-wsdl-xml,
> binding,

> be
> on
> module
> the
> the
> > > User
> > as  suggested
> > >

> > > A complete list does sound useful. How about the developer guide links
> > > something like an architecture page which has a diagram of the
> runtime,
> > > bit of a description about it, and the complete list of modules? Eg,
> > > Similar
> > > to [1] but the other way up and more text explaining it.
> > >
> > >    ...ant
> > >
> > > [1]
> > >

> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/Java+SCA+Modulization+Design+Discussions
> > >
> > I thinks that's spot on. Didn't know the page had been extended to
> include
> > the module list. Lets link it into the architecture page (when we decide
> > which architecture page we are having ;-). We can use module links from
> > this
> > page to record module design information. Module user information would
> be
> > separate of course.So doe this hierarchy look right
> >
> > Architecture Guide ---> Module list ----> Module technical detail
> >                                       ^
> > User Guide ---> Implementation/Binding/Databinding... list --> Extension
> > User Guide
> >
> > We could probably tie the two together as you suggest by indicating
> which
> > modules are used to implement an Implementation/Binding/Databinding

Hi

1/ Architecture Guide.
It was just that the text here has an M2 feel about it, i.e. it refers to
things like Kernel which is not a term used in the code now (core does
appear though). So I think we should go with an architecure page that
describes how the Tuscany runtime is put together. I prefer the level of
detail that you have put on the kernel specific architecture page [2]
although of course this need updating as well. From this wide ranging
discusion of kernel we can link, in appropriate places, to the technical
details of the inidividual modules. So, expanding on a previous post, I
would anticipate something like the following set of pages

Architecture 1000ft [1]-----------------
        |                                      \/
        |                              Module Detail [3]
        |                                      /\
       \/                                      |
Architecture Guide [2]-----------------

[1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/Java+SCA+Modulization+Design+Discussions<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/Java+SCA+Modulization+Design+Discussions>
[2]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/Java+SCA+Kernel+Architecture+Guide
[3] Technical detail of each module - e.g.
http://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANY/binding-ws.html

I am of course happy to help try and work this out but didn't want to dive
in moving links about while others are doing the same. Could get very
confusing.

Re: Website - Feedback please

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your comments. I haven't gone through all the details and will do
that tomorrow. However, this  caught my eye and wanted to better understand
your comment.

>> Java SCA
>>  - Architecture Guide
    - still pointing to the old one

What do you mean by "still pointing to the old one". If you follow the link
you should see this page

http://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANY/java-sca-architecture-overview.html

I agree that the content should be updated, but want to make sure you are
seeing this page.

>> - DeveloperGuide
    - I still think there should be a developer guide as it fits well under

What is a developer guide and how is the content different than what would
go into the 'get involved' page under development section?

Here is what I was thinking (perhaps it is not right):
User Guide would hold things  like:
     -  Installation/setup information
     -  user type documentation (SCA concepts and examples, etc)
     -  How to develop a simple SCA application followed with more advanced

Re: Website - Feedback please

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Website - Feedback please

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website - Feedback please

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Website - Feedback please

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website - Feedback please

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 4/18/07, haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> These are done now:
>
> > 1)  Using SDO Java could move to 'user guide' on this page.
>

> +1
>
> 2) Code structure can move to get involved or even to the architecture doc
>

> +1 to moving to "get involved"
>

> On 4/17/07, kelvin goodson <ke...@thegoodsons.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I replied to this thread on the tuscany-user list
> >
> > On 12/04/07, haleh mahbod < hmahbod@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Kelvin,
> > > Thanks for your review.  You mentioned that scopes should be the same
> > when
> > > on a given page.
> > > I agree.  I fixed it.  We now have a  sdo cpp FAQ and a sdo Java FAQ.
> > > also moved text from some of the mentioned threads to the FAQ. The
> ones
> > > did not is because I did not know how to net it down to a question and
>
> > an
> > > answer.
> > >
> > > You mentioned General heading can be called Tuscany or SDO General
> > > heading. The General heading is more a collection of things that I
> > couldn't
> > > find a good title for on that page :) It is not intended to be general
> > for
> > > Tuscany.
> > >
> > > Some suggestion for the SDO Java page:
> > >
> > > 1)  Using SDO Java could move to 'user guide' on this page.
> > > 2) Code structure can move to get involved or even to the architecture
> > doc
> > >
> > > If there is agreement, I go ahead and make the changes.
> > > Haleh

> > quick
> the
> the
> > generic
> > the
> can't

> links
> > name

> tuscany-dev
> > the
> we
> else

> very
> > > >

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-tuscany-user/200703.mbox/%3COF7D815C88.D2F9D266-ON852572A8.0059A5D8-852572A8.005B2B5E@ca.ibm.com%3E
> > 29th
> started

> pages  to

> overview
> introduction
> if
> > want
> SCA
> > and

> > minimum

> all

> the

> there)  and
> welcomed
> > :)

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-tuscany-dev/200704.mbox/%3c2516867c0704041048x759e06c1o507b6a0dd1443af2@mail.gmail.com%3e

Hi

I'm starting to like the shape of it. Some comments. Apologies now if I
stray into content comments. I know at the moment we are commenting on the
shape of it but I'll note what I see as I go through. Also I've fixed small
things as I've looked at them and noted things here that people may disagree
with.

- General Comments
[...]

   - Downloads
     - centre alignment looks strange
   - Architecture Guide
     - still pointing to the old one
  - JavaDoc
     - shouldn;t be under the guides section
  - DeveloperGuide
     - I still think there should be a developer guide as it fits well under
the guide section. So how about
           Guides
              User Guide
              Architecture Guide
              Developer Guide
           Resources
              Source code
              Java Doc

- SDO
  - SDO Java
      - has an issue management section under development

- DAS
  - seems to be in a slighlty different format. We have Java and C++
implementations underway so we could follow the patter of SCA and SDO.

(*) - I took a look at how we can refer back to the website from the poms.
We could include the URL of a modules web page in the <url/> tag of each
module pom. This url is used during site generation by maven. I'm not
suggesting we do maven site generation now (I saw someone previously doing
this for some modules and the issue was how to integrate with confluence). I
think for the time being it will be easier/quicker/more inclusive to collect
module information on the wiki.

If we want, in the future, to generate a maven site, for example, if we want
to ship it with a release, then the information on the wiki provides a good
homepage for each module and hence the <url/> in the pom provides that link.

My concern is for visioning on the wiki. I guess we can either generate
released focused spaces or export the relevant pages to HTML and check into
svn when we cut a release.

Regards

Simon

Re: Website - Feedback please

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
These are done now:

Re: Website - Feedback please

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@thegoodsons.org.uk>.

Re: Website - Feedback please

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@thegoodsons.org.uk>.
Haleh,
  I dropped this one, sorry,  with regards to your suggestions .....

> Some suggestion for the SDO Java page:
>
> 1)  Using SDO Java could move to 'user guide' on this page.

+1

2) Code structure can move to get involved or even to the architecture doc

+1 to moving to "get involved"

If there is agreement, I go ahead and make the changes.
> Haleh

Thanks, Kelvin.

Re: Website - Feedback please

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
Kelvin,
Thanks for your review.  You mentioned that scopes should be the same when
on a given page.
I agree.  I fixed it.  We now have a  sdo cpp FAQ and a sdo Java FAQ. I also
moved text from some of the mentioned threads to the FAQ. The ones I did not

Re: Website - Feedback please

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
Kelvin,

Re: Website - Feedback please