Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Olivier Delannoy <ol...@prism.uvsq.fr> on 2004/07/01 09:29:21 UTC

NFS file system

Hello,
I show in the subversion book that a repository should not be installed
on an nfs shared. In a mode so that multiple clients and servers access
the same shared, I agree that it is not a good thing due to local
caches. Is it the same if there is only one server (svnserv or
Apache2/WebDav) accessing the repository files on a shared NFS.

Olivier Delannoy

Re: NFS file system

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
M.Verkerk wrote:

> Olivier Delannoy wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I show in the subversion book that a repository should not be
>> installed on an nfs shared. In a mode so that multiple clients and
>> servers access the same shared, I agree that it is not a good thing
>> due to local caches. Is it the same if there is only one server
>> (svnserv or Apache2/WebDav) accessing the repository files on a
>> shared NFS.
>>
> This is probably the same.
>
> More than one user can access the repository through pserver / Apache
> at the same time. The thing is that Subversion needs to lock certain
> files of the repository on a low level. That's why it won't work on
> networked file systems.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong!

The real problem is not locking, but memory maps in Berkeley DB.

-- Brane

Re: NFS file system

Posted by Dimitri Papadopoulos-Orfanos <pa...@shfj.cea.fr>.
> I found this on  http://nfs.sourceforge.net/
> #  NFS V2 and V3 work with locking on both client and server.
> The locking policies of the nfs filesystem is available however I do not
> know at what level it is efficent.

NFS does support locking, although I doubt it works well, at least not
in all cases (in my experience NFS locking didn't work reliably some
years ago on some systems including Solaris).

In any case the Berkeley DB used by Subversion does not support shared
file systems:
	http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/env/remote.html
You really shouldn't use NFS. If you do, your repository will get corrupted:
	http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#nfs

Dimitri

Re: NFS file system

Posted by Olivier Delannoy <ol...@prism.uvsq.fr>.