Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2006/05/04 17:12:10 UTC

Core webapps and clustering

Hi,

I was wondering if I should merge the code for the core manager webapp
in the main source tree, or if I should keep them in the webapps
subfolders. There is one dependency for the manager webapp on
commons-fileupload 1.0 (so if the code for the webapp is merged in the
main source tree, commons-fileupload will get the package renaming
treatment).

Similarly, the clustering module (the new ones, most likely) as well as
the storeconfig should most likely be merged in the main source tree.

Rémy

Re: Core webapps and clustering

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Peter Rossbach wrote:
> I think we can merge both cluster and storeconfig modules to new tc 6.
> For current user it is easier.

I will start with storeconfig, that's quite easy.

> Only change is that new ha cluster module are packaged as seperate jar
> (name change a build.xml) and we must change the bootstrap logic at
> config parsing. I think user better switch cluster implementation with
> system.properties as autodetect a class. Then testing
> current and new cluster module are a lot easier.

If the new clustering module has benefits, then it should replace the
old one in the new branch. Did you try it ?

> After merge I can start session manager refactoring and later I made a
> tc 5.5 backport.

Ok.

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.
IMHO no module should insert new rules in the server.xml reader.
It is already complex enough.

All modules should use a single syntax, based on JMX - where you specify the
mbean name, and then attributes you want to set. If you need more
structure - define
additional mbeans. There are plenty of example - I'm sure someone more
familiar with jboss can explain why it's better and more flexible this
way :-)

As for 'use the same jar name' and system property - a strong -1 if
it's not too late :-)
Why ? Looking for trouble ? Is confusing the user a goal ? Just use a
different name, leave both of them around - you can treat them as
separate modules.

Costin

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
Hey Costin,

> [...]

> turn on - i.e.
> sort of a separate module, with no dependency between tomcat and ha.
>
> For modules - I assumed that each of them is a JMX component, that can
> be configured using only JMX calls. I.e. no system.properties or
> other change
> to bootstrap logic.
>
> If this is not the case - why and can we fix it ?
>
> Re: moving the code to the src/ tree - I'm not very sure. I think it
> was a clear benefit to
> have all core tomcat components in the same tree - i.e. connectors,
> jasper, catalina.

+1
> But I think it would also be good to have a separate 'modules' and
> 'webapps' area, and
> keep them separate, at least for things that are not required for a
> basic tomcat. Or at least for things that have external deps, or are

+1

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> 4. JMX, yes, hit it on the nail, there is nothing pluggable about
> tomcat's JMX right now,
>   For example, MBeanUtils.createObjectName(String,Connector), if the
> connector does not
>   contain the string "CoyoteConnector" it simply throws a
> MalformedObjectNameException
>   So this area would need to be revisited in large before it would be
> something like
>   Rickard Oberg created for JBoss that made it so pluggable through JMX
> and MBeans,
>   geronimo has something similar through their GBeans/XBeans.
>   On a personal note, I think JMX should do monitoring and I think
> injection can be done in
>   many more ways. but that is a philosophical point.

This is cute, but would serve absolutely no meaningful purpose. Tomcat,
unlike the two products you quote, is not an integration container. If
it is or becomes one, then I suppose some people would find it cool, but
personally I would likely stop using it.

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
Hi,

Am 05.05.2006 um 05:34 schrieb Filip Hanik - Dev Lists:

> I'd thought I'd chip in my 2 cents,
>
> 1. I don't think we should keep maintaining two clustering modules
> in TC6,
>   the old one has too many limitations, I would leave it as a
> module since its stable,
>   but I don't have any plans of trying to beat the dead horse and
> try to make it do
>   something it wasn't built to do.
+1

Currently we can copy the old one to TC6 to help people start
testing. The new
cluster module is pretty cool and after it was complete, we deprecate
the good old horse :-)

You change every day a lot. Duplicate those changes are a nightmare
and do much work.
Better we test  the new cluster together and after the first
development is finished, we can copy and maintain it.

>   The new "ha" module, which is far from complete is trying to
> address most of these
>   limitations, but also extend to features like context attribute
> replication,
>   probably a second attempt at farming, delta versioning and many
> other features.

Cool! After my conference week I hope start real testing.

> 2. I would integrate the new "ha" module into the main tree
>   as Remy suggested, easier to catch when it breaks,
>   and session,context and other data management is something that
>   is pretty intimate with Tomcat's code base
+1, to intergrate the build at tc 5.5.

> 3. I was gonna make the "comm" layer, default to tribes
>   but be pluggable, if someone prefers to use something else, like
> Appia, Spread, jgroups etc.
>   To avoid more server.xml clutter,
>   I was simply thinking of binding the comm layer into the
>   JNDI tree as a regular resource so that resources simply
>   can look it up and take advantage of it. That way, when tomcat is
> embedded,
>   that container would probably want to share this comm resource,
> and they are
>   able to through JNDI.

I thing JMX is the better option!

> 4. JMX, yes, hit it on the nail, the
> re is nothing pluggable about tomcat's JMX right now,
>   For example, MBeanUtils.createObjectName(String,Connector), if
> the connector does not
>   contain the string "CoyoteConnector" it simply throws a
> MalformedObjectNameException
>   So this area would need to be revisited in large before it would
> be something like
>   Rickard Oberg created for JBoss that made it so pluggable through
> JMX and MBeans,
>   geronimo has something similar through their GBeans/XBeans.
Both are good platforms, but you thing we can use it directly?

>   On a personal note, I think JMX should do monitoring and I think
> injection can be done in
>   many more ways. but that is a philosophical point.

Yes! Yes, I think we need a better JMX core that are independent form
implementation. Like a Tomcat JMX API
and people can easier switch implementation and make real dynamic
remote management possible
> I do see the benefit of adding the new cluster module "ha" to the
> main tree, and I would support that effort.
> I would keep the old "cluster" module as a module, eventually
> sunsetting it. I would keep "groupcom" as a module
> as this is not really a core tomcat feature, but providing the
> context/session management is.

Let us add it for eaisier testing.
+1
> have a great Friday folks!

Thanks and also have nice day...
Peter

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
Am 05.05.2006 um 14:38 schrieb Henri Gomez:

> Well we discuss for Tomcat 6, not Tomcat 5.5

+1, exactly
> Did there is some deadlines for Tomcat 6 ?

No! We have time, but we need a good plan, design and developer team
that really
implement the stuff. :-)

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.
Ah, I think I misread your suggestion...

Having support for clean extension modules where appropriate would be a
fine thing for Tomcat.

[For instance, the ability to easily replace the form-based
authentication mechanism so as to be transparently compatible with basic
authentication while still supporting session-based authentication --
all in the same web app...]

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I plan to - but if you have nothing else to do :-), or this is a
blocker - please
look into it as well.

By 'optimizations' I mean:
- using dynamic mbeans ( are lighter, I don't think we gain much by
using model mbeans )
- lazy as much as possible
- improve MBeansSource, add saving - to read/write mlet-style config fragments
- check where we use JMX directly, add wrappers in modeler
- ( probably in sandbox ): implement a modeler version that doesn't
actually use JMX, for
lighter containers.

The tomcat code is using mostly Registry, so it should not require a
lot of changes. Obviously, most of the other APIs will be broken - but
we are in a separate package than commons.modeler, so it shouldn't be
a problem.

In any case - this should not block Tomcat6 release in any way, I'll
use a separate package
until it is stable, and it can get in a 6.1 or 6.2 if needed.

Costin

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.
As someone who used OSGI quite heavily in the past - I hope I'll
never have to touch it again :-), and certainly not in tomcat...
The _concept_ is good - components, dynamic binding, etc  - but OSGI is
a framework like all others, it wants the whole world to change to it's model.
Sort of an Avalon :-).

Regarding modularity - we already have a lot of modularity in the code, with
plenty of hooks and components. What we don't have is deployment modularity -
ability to package and deploy modules like cluster, connectors, valves
in a consistent
way.

I also agree with Remy - we shouldn't be a Jboss/Geronimo clone - but
that doesn't
mean we shouldn't try to be more modular and support some of the good things in
osgi/jboss/geronimo.

JMX is currently the only API that I know that  allows this without
beeing a 'you have to
do it only my way' framework like osgi or avalon ( and so many more ).
Well, they do
have a bit of that - but so far modeler ( with all its problems ) was
able to shield us from
most of it.

So all I'm proposing is to just make small adjustments - fix modeler,
small packaging changes,
use modeler/jmx more for component configuration ( and less server.xml
/ tomcat-specific formats ).

Costin

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hola,

--
Yoav Shapira
Nimalex LLC

Re: Core webapps and clustering

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.
On 5/4/06, Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:
> Costin Manolache wrote:
> > It's not about using a mini-jboss architecture, but about a more
> > consistent and simpler
> > configuration.
> >
> > IMO JMX should be used for configuration when possible, instead of
> > adding more weird
> > syntax to server.xml.
>
> I tried it quite hard at some point (it's the embedded distribution),
> and it didn't work out that well. It's actually more complex.
>
> The first task is to optimize modeler (you'll do it, right ?), and then
> maybe to use modeler exclusively in Tomcat (avoiding all direct JMX
> dependencies).

I'm actually trying to optimize it and finally implement the 'persist changes',
but it'll take some time, I get less than 1h per day to work on open source.

I would say jboss style config is not _that_ more complex, and even 3.3 style
config was acceptable for many modules ( well, people might not agree
with that,
bit at least it was simple enough ).

> > What is 'core module' and not is a complex issue - obviously what
> > ships in the 'default' distro will
> > change with each release. But clustering seems like a big enough and
> > separate enough component to me, if this is not a good candidate for
> > 'separate module' - I don't know what would be. It's clearly not used
> > by all users, it has 2 implementations, etc.
>
> And it needs to get back to 1 implementation in a hurry :) I am
> conceptually ok with it being a module, though, although I would be
> happier if it was in the main tree (this way it's harder to ignore when
> the build is broken).

:-)

Costin

Re: Core webapps and clustering