Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Masaori Koshiba <ma...@apache.org> on 2019/02/22 06:37:13 UTC

[DISCUSS] Minimum version of OpenSSL

Hi all,

Could we bump minimum requirements of OpenSSL version to 1.0.2 on next
major release?

I just noticed that SSLUtils says that Traffic Server requires an OpenSSL
library version 0.9.4 or greater [*1].
But I think nobody is using such old OpenSSL. So we can bump minimum
version of OpenSSL.

According to OpenSSL Release Strategy [*2], version 1.0.2 is current
minimum supported version by OpenSSL community.
And version 1.0.1 was end of support 2 years ago (at 2016-12-31). Version
1.0.2 looks reasonable choice.

If we could bump minimum version of OpenSSL, we can remove many ifdefs in
SSL components.

> With regards to current and future releases the OpenSSL project has
adopted the following policy:

> - Version 1.1.0 will be supported until one year after the release of
1.1.1
> - Version 1.0.2 will be supported until 2019-12-31 (LTS).
> - Version 1.0.1 is no longer supported.
> - Version 1.0.0 is no longer supported.
> - Version 0.9.8 is no longer supported.

[*1]
https://github.com/apache/trafficserver/blob/c811aea9e0484433fbdd63e0fa6b9fbab87085eb/iocore/net/SSLUtils.cc#L85-L88
[*2] https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html

Thanks,
Masaori

Re: [DISCUSS] Minimum version of OpenSSL

Posted by Masaori Koshiba <ma...@apache.org>.
I opened Pull Request for this. Please take a look.

https://github.com/apache/trafficserver/pull/5074

- Masaori

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by "Steven R. Feltner" <sf...@godaddy.com>.
This sounds like a solid plan for deprecating support for older OSes and updating our requirements for OpenSSL.

Thanks,
Steven

Posted by Masaori Koshiba <ma...@apache.org>.
Our conclusion is below