Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Jesse Pelton <js...@PKC.com> on 2002/06/19 16:29:01 UTC

RE: Follow up Question: When Will Xerces-C Provide .NET project f iles ???

It sounds like you mean "Visual Studio .NET" and not the whole .NET package
when you say ".NET." If you're using VS .NET to develop unmanaged C++ code,
using Xerces makes sense (as long as Microsoft allows unmanaged C++ code to
remain a viable option).

I agree that VS .NET is a worthwhile upgrade. The libraries (STL in
particular, but MFC as well) are much improved.

Posted by Gert van Spijker <ge...@ab-graph.com>.
<snip>

> (as long as Microsoft allows unmanaged C++ code to remain a viable
option).

Surely they will have to? It may be possible to write an application in C#
but how would you write a driver, a web server or an OS?

Gert

RE: Follow up Question: When Will Xerces-C Provide .NET project f iles ???

Posted by Robert Buck <rb...@mathworks.com>.
Hi all,

... No, I just mean the Visual Studio .NET project files. I do realize that
you can upgrade the project files from the GUI. But once I do that, then
_I_ have to check those created files into source control, which is another
maintenance item that _we_ need to manage.

The automated build and test (BaT) is a huge distributed system involving
several architectures and compilers. It does _not_ have a gui in the
traditional sense (except the web page showing status of the various queues
involved with BaT), so having BaT open a Visual Studio session to convert a
project is not an option if such a convert session involves clicking
buttons in dialog boxes. There is no GUI in BaT. These are primarily rack
mounted systems without monitors and keyboards, and using network
appliances. See my point?

If Xerces were to provide additional project files for Visual Studio .NET,
perhaps in a directory named "xerces-c-src1_7_0\Projects\Build\Win32\vc7",
life would be simpler since all we would need to do is just build the
project from the command line in the usual Visual Studio way.

Has anyone tried building a Visual Studio 6.0 project using Studio .NET
command line tools yet? I am about to try this and was wondering what other
peoples experience was.

-Bob