Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Selmer Ausland <se...@shawcable.com> on 2003/01/22 20:54:50 UTC

[users@httpd] RotateLogs

Hello Group;

   I am having problems getting rotatelogs to work. I have followed the
documentation and tried numerous configurations and I cannot seem to get
the hang of it. (boneheaded probably).

I am sending along a portion of my Apache httpd conf file (below).
Perhaps someone would be kind enough to enlighten me as to the proper
wording. I obviously have it wrong. Grrrr!!

I am using Win NT 4.0 and Apache 2.0.44

Thanks.

Selmer Ausland

----------------------------------

# If you *do* define an error logfile for a <VirtualHost>
# container, that host's errors will be logged there and not here.

  ErrorLog logs/error.log

  TransferLog "|/D:/Apache2/bin/rotatelogs /var/log/error_log 86400"

# LogLevel: Control the number of messages logged to the error.log.
# alert, emerg.

LogLevel warn

# The following directives define some format nicknames for use with
# a CustomLog directive (see below).
#
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
combined
LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent

#
# The location and format of the access logfile (Common Logfile Format).
# If you do not define any access logfiles within a <VirtualHost>
# container, they will be logged here.  Contrariwise, if you *do*
# define per-<VirtualHost> access logfiles, transactions will be
# logged therein and *not* in this file.
#

  CustomLog logs/access.log common

  CustomLog "|/D:/Apache2/bin/rotatelogs /var/log/Access_log 86400"
common

# If you would like to have agent and referer logfiles, uncomment the
# following directives.
#
# CustomLog logs/referer.log referer
# CustomLog logs/agent.log agent

#
# If you prefer a single logfile with access, agent, and referer
information
# (Combined Logfile Format) you can use the following directive.
#

#CustomLog logs/access.log combined

--
JKCC Consulting
http://jkcc.com/

Memories Of Deep River
http://www.jkcc.com/evje/

Re: [users@httpd] RotateLogs

Posted by Ladislav Sedivy <la...@sedivy.com>.
Selmer Ausland wrote:

> Hello Group;
>
>    I am having problems getting rotatelogs to work. I have followed the
> documentation and tried numerous configurations and I cannot seem to get
> the hang of it. (boneheaded probably).
>
> I am sending along a portion of my Apache httpd conf file (below).
> Perhaps someone would be kind enough to enlighten me as to the proper
> wording. I obviously have it wrong. Grrrr!!
>
> I am using Win NT 4.0 and Apache 2.0.44
>
> Thanks.
>
> Selmer Ausland

I have the same problems.  I posted following message to
comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows newsgroup:

Something is strange in 2.0.44.  Suddenly I get no logs where everything
was
working fine in 2.0.43.  Relevant lines in my conf file:

SetEnvIf REMOTE_ADDR "^192\.168" dontlog
CustomLog "| c:/apache2/bin/rotatelogs.exe c:/apache2/logs/access
604800" combined env=!dontlog

If I don't use rotatelogs.exe everything is fine.

Comments anyone?

-L

Re: [users@httpd] RotateLogs

Posted by Selmer Ausland <se...@shawcable.com>.
Koen Vingerhoets wrote:

> Hi,
>
> isn't it normal behaviour??? Apache is writing to the file, file is in use,
> rotatelogs can't move it??
> Just wondering... I didn't get it to work neither :s
>
> Koen

-----------------------------

I was using log rotate on a test machine set to rotate every 120 seconds
for test purposes. I don't think that is the problem.

Rotate error log worked, but not  rotate access log

Selmer

RE: [users@httpd] RotateLogs

Posted by Selmer Ausland <se...@shawcable.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] RotateLogs

Posted by Ladislav Sedivy <la...@sedivy.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] RotateLogs

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: [users@httpd] RotateLogs

Posted by Ladislav Sedivy <la...@sedivy.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] RotateLogs

Posted by Selmer Ausland <se...@shawcable.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] RotateLogs

Posted by Ladislav Sedivy <la...@sedivy.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] RotateLogs

Posted by Selmer Ausland <se...@shawcable.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] RotateLogs

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> I made the changes that you suggested and it didn't work. I also tried
> it with dos and it doesn't work. Being relatively new to Apache I hope
> you will not think me completely stupid for not figuring this out by
> myself.

You should be able to type in D:\Apache2\bin\rotatelogs.exe and have it give
you usage information.  If you get a File Not Found or whatever message, you
need to find the correct path to rotatelogs.exe.

2nd,  /var/log/ does not exist on Windows systems.  You need to make a dir
that Apache can write to it, Apache will not create directories.  You may
want to try something like:

mkdir d:\logs

and then in httpd.conf:

TransferLog "|D:/Apache2/bin/rotatelogs.exe D:/logs/error_log 86400"

Basically, that line is saying:

"Apache, send the transfer logs to d:/apache2/bin/rotatelogs.exe.
rotatelogs.exe, i want you to save the transfer log to d:/logs/error_log and
rotate it every day (which is 86400 seconds)"

-Jacob

Re: [users@httpd] RotateLogs

Posted by Selmer Ausland <se...@shawcable.com>.
Jacob Coby wrote:

>    TransferLog "|/D:/Apache2/bin/rotatelogs /var/log/error_log 86400"
>
> Did you mean to have the "/" before "D:/Apache2" ?  You also forgot the .exe
> extention.  Does D:/Apache2/bin/rotatelogs.exe work when you type it in from
> the cmd line?
>
> -Jacob

Hello Jacob;

I made the changes that you suggested and it didn't work. I also tried
it with dos and it doesn't work. Being relatively new to Apache I hope
you will not think me completely stupid for not figuring this out by
myself.

This is the example from Apache website for piped logs:

CustomLog "|/usr/local/apache/bin/rotatelogs /var/log/access_log 86400"
common

What I used is in my partial Apache conf file (below), which I have
added again in case someone else can shed light on how to rotate access
and error logs.

Using Win NT 4.0 and Apache 2.0.44

Thanks. Selmer

#
  ErrorLog logs/error.log

  TransferLog "|D:/Apache2/bin/rotatelogs.exe /var/log/error_log 86400"

# LogLevel: Control the number of messages logged to the error.log.
# alert, emerg.

LogLevel warn

# The following directives define some format nicknames for use with
# a CustomLog directive (see below).
#
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
\"%{User-Agent}i\""combined
LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent

#
# The location and format of the access logfile (Common Logfile Format).
# If you do not define any access logfiles within a <VirtualHost>
# container, they will be logged here.  Contrariwise, if you *do*
# define per-<VirtualHost> access logfiles, transactions will be
# logged therein and *not* in this file.
#

  CustomLog logs/access.log common

  CustomLog "|D:/Apache2/bin/rotatelogs.exe /var/log/Access_log 86400"

Re: [users@httpd] RotateLogs

Posted by Selmer Ausland <se...@shawcable.com>.
Jacob Coby wrote:

> >   TransferLog "|/D:/Apache2/bin/rotatelogs /var/log/error_log 86400"
>
> Did you mean to have the "/" before "D:/Apache2" ?  You also forgot the .exe
> extention.  Does D:/Apache2/bin/rotatelogs.exe work when you type it in from
> the cmd line?
>
> -Jacob

Hello Jacob;
    I simply copied various examples of rotatelogs from Apaches and
other websites. Never saw anything about using rotatelogs.exe in any
examples I've found on the Internet. I will try this and take out the
slash in "|/D:/Apache2 I haven't tried it from CMD, but will do and
confirm if it works.

Thanks.  Selmer

Re: [users@httpd] RotateLogs

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.