Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/15 08:55:44 UTC

[VOTE] [dbutils] Release DbUtils 1.4 (based on RC1)

RC1 is available here:

 http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-dbutils-1.4-rc1/

SVN:

 http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/dbutils/tags/DBUTILS_1_4_RC1/

Maven artifacts:

 http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-dbutils-1.4-rc1/commons-dbutils-1.4-bundle.jar

Website:

 http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-dbutils-1.4-rc1/site/

Note that this should be used to consider the various project reports.
I'll write the content regarding the release as a part of the release
[1.4 is out yada yada] and we can tweak post-release.

This vote will close no sooner than in 72 hours time, 0700 GMT 18
September 2011.

Re: [VOTE] [dbutils] Release DbUtils 1.4 (based on RC1)

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Fair enough on the source archive. Vote cancelled.

Adding a 'check top dir = archive name' check to a release script
would help catch that.

Hen

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Inline for all items.

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 1:21 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 September 2011 07:55, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> RC1 is available here:
>>
>>  http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-dbutils-1.4-rc1/
>
> Sigs and hashes OK, source agrees with svn tag. Builds and tests OK on
> Java 1.5 and 1.6.
>
> However, the directory name in the source archive is
> commons-dbutils-1.3-src
>
> I think that's a blocker.
>
> IMO, Release notes should be included in the archives; it's easy
> enough to generate a text copy from changes.xml and commit to SVN just
> before release:
>
> mvn changes:changes-report changes:announcement-generate
> and then move target/announcement/announcement.vm to RN.

Done.

> The VFS pom has a relnotes profile which automatically creates the RN
> in situ, and also uses a more sophisticated VM source
> The NET project includes a generic VM source release-notes.vm which is
> also in MATH (probably should add relnotes profile to commons parent)
>
> Also, it's useful to include the javadocs in the binary archive.
> Looks like the assembly phase failed because bin.xml includes the javadocs
>
>> SVN:
>>
>>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/dbutils/tags/DBUTILS_1_4_RC1/
>
> pom.xml says:
>
> <commons.release.version>1.3</commons.release.version>
> <commons.rc.version>RC4</commons.rc.version>
>
> which is incorrect.
>
> Blocker because it probably caused the incorrect source archive.
>
> BTW, it would be easier to notice such things if the properties were
> defined near the start of the pom ...

Or if they weren't there at all :(

Having a post release-build check to make sure archives start with the
archive name would catch it. As would (often) a grep for SNAPSHOT
before build. As I script all this that's pretty easy to add.

>> Maven artifacts:
>>
>>  http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-dbutils-1.4-rc1/commons-dbutils-1.4-bundle.jar
>
> The binary jar in the bundle does not appear to be the same as the one
> in the binary archive.

Intriguing.

I run mvn install, then bundle up the local maven repo. I'll
investigate what happened here - maybe the line to remove the maven
repo failed.

Another check I can add.

>> Website:
>>
>>  http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-dbutils-1.4-rc1/site/
>
> No TM on logo.
> DbUtils should be used as adjective in first mention on front page.

Existing issues, no need to fix before release.

> First license link points to local license page; either point to
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/ or drop the link as it is included
> under Commons heading; in any case, delete the local license page.

Same again, though I'll aim to remove it.

Thanks for the review :)

Hen

Re: [VOTE] [dbutils] Release DbUtils 1.4 (based on RC1)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 15 September 2011 07:55, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> RC1 is available here:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-dbutils-1.4-rc1/

Sigs and hashes OK, source agrees with svn tag. Builds and tests OK on
Java 1.5 and 1.6.

However, the directory name in the source archive is
commons-dbutils-1.3-src

I think that's a blocker.

IMO, Release notes should be included in the archives; it's easy
enough to generate a text copy from changes.xml and commit to SVN just
before release:

mvn changes:changes-report changes:announcement-generate
and then move target/announcement/announcement.vm to RN.

The VFS pom has a relnotes profile which automatically creates the RN
in situ, and also uses a more sophisticated VM source
The NET project includes a generic VM source release-notes.vm which is
also in MATH (probably should add relnotes profile to commons parent)

Also, it's useful to include the javadocs in the binary archive.
Looks like the assembly phase failed because bin.xml includes the javadocs

> SVN:
>
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/dbutils/tags/DBUTILS_1_4_RC1/

pom.xml says:

<commons.release.version>1.3</commons.release.version>
<commons.rc.version>RC4</commons.rc.version>

which is incorrect.

Blocker because it probably caused the incorrect source archive.

BTW, it would be easier to notice such things if the properties were
defined near the start of the pom ...

> Maven artifacts:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-dbutils-1.4-rc1/commons-dbutils-1.4-bundle.jar

The binary jar in the bundle does not appear to be the same as the one
in the binary archive.

> Website:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-dbutils-1.4-rc1/site/

No TM on logo.
DbUtils should be used as adjective in first mention on front page.
First license link points to local license page; either point to
http://www.apache.org/licenses/ or drop the link as it is included
under Commons heading; in any case, delete the local license page.

> Note that this should be used to consider the various project reports.
> I'll write the content regarding the release as a part of the release
> [1.4 is out yada yada] and we can tweak post-release.
>
> This vote will close no sooner than in 72 hours time, 0700 GMT 18
> September 2011.

>  [ ] +1
>  [X] -1, with reason

See above.