Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Da...@ssga.com on 2002/11/05 22:31:13 UTC

Struts 1.1b2 for WLS 5.1 SP11 does not seem to find any classes inside the struts-example war file.

We are having problems using the struts-example for Struts 1.1b2 on
Weblogic 5.1 SP 11.   During war deployment we get ClassNotFound exceptions
on various classes.  The only way I have been able to get the example
working is to pull all of the jars under WEB-INF\lib and all the classes
under WEB-INF\classes out of the struts-example war file and include them
in my weblogic classpath directly.

Note: I did as the Weblogic 5.1 install notes asked and put the
ApplicationResources.properties) where it should go for a Weblogic 5.1
installation.  I don't believe this is my issue.

At first I got ClassNotFound exceptions on
org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResourcesFactory.    After adding
struts.jar to the server-wide weblogic classpath I got
ClassNotFoundExceptions for classes in the common-* jar files.  After doing
the same for the commons jars I got ClassNotFound exceptions for the struts
specific jars under WEB-INF\classes so I extracted these to a directory and
put that in my classpath as well.

Struts 1.0.2 worked fine out of the box for us.

My questions:

1) Is there any way to get the example working in a war format without
pulling out every class and jar and putting it in my server's classpath?  I
don't really like the workaround I discovered.

2) What changed in struts 1.1b2 that caused the example to break?

3) Is this a bug in struts?  If so, is it expected to be fixed in the
release version of 1.1?

Thanks in advance for the help!

- David Boatwright (David_Boatwright@ssga.com)

Detailed example of the type of exceptions I get during server startup when
the struts-example is deployed.

Tue Nov 05 15:45:46 EST 2002:<I> <WebAppServletContext-strutsexample>
action: init
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResourcesFactory
        at
weblogic.boot.ServerClassLoader.findLocalClass(ServerClassLoader.java:372)
        at
weblogic.boot.ServerClassLoader.loadClass(ServerClassLoader.java:112)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.applicationClass(RequestUtils.java:193)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.MessageResourcesFactory.createFactory(MessageResourcesFactory.java:169)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.MessageResources.getMessageResources(MessageResources.java:557)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.<clinit>(RequestUtils.java:140)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.MessageResourcesFactory.createFactory(MessageResourcesFactory.java:169)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.MessageResources.getMessageResources(MessageResources.java:557)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.initInternal(ActionServlet.java:1153)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.init(ActionServlet.java:449)
        at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:258)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.createServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:499)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.createInstances(ServletStubImpl.java:453)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.prepareServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:442)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.prepareServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:361)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.preloadServlet(ServletContextImpl.java:748)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.preloadServlets(ServletContextImpl.java:722)
        at
weblogic.t3.srvr.HttpServer.initServletContexts(HttpServer.java:669)
        at weblogic.t3.srvr.HttpServer.start(HttpServer.java:467)
        at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.start(T3Srvr.java:1395)
        at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.main(T3Srvr.java:869)
        at weblogic.Server.startServerDynamically(Server.java:140)
        at weblogic.Server.main(Server.java:97)
        at weblogic.Server.main(Server.java:58)
[ERROR] MessageResourcesFactory - -MessageResourcesFactory.createFactory
<java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.struts.util.PropertyMessageResourcesFactory>
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.struts.util.MessageResources.getMessageResources(MessageResources.java:558)
[...]
Tue Nov 05 15:45:46 EST 2002:<E> <HTTP> Error creating servlet context for
Web application 'c:/jakarta-struts/webapps/struts-example.war'