Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by "Mark T." <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/03 22:41:38 UTC

ServiceMix without Maven

If I am only using the binary installations of ServiceMix.  Do I have to have
maven installed?

I am planning on using ant for any JBI packaging or static configuration.

Re: ServiceMix without Maven

Posted by Kit Plummer <ki...@gmail.com>.
On 7/9/07, Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/9/07, Mark T. <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > By the way, what is the size of your Maven repository?
>
> This is 100% dependent upon the project(s) you manage using Maven. I
> manage a *lot* of projects that use Maven so my local repo (i.e., the
> one on my MacBook) is typically somewhere between 1-2gb. But remember
> that includes all transitive dependencies
> (http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-dependency-mechanism.html)
> for all of these projects.
>
> One thing I highly suggest to clients is to establish your own repo
> inside your company and point only at it instead of directly to the
> public repos on the internet. This will help you manage your
> dependencies much better because then you completely control what is
> being downloaded. I believe Kit and his team still do this.
>
> Bruce
> );'
>
> Apache Geronimo - http://geronimo.apache.org/
> Castor - http://castor.org/

Generally we only manage our own libraries, one's that we've generated
- or, libraries that we've had issues with (for example a maven mojo).

We use the project's pom.xml configuration to control the versions.

But, we have a very strict control of the libraries that get deployed
to our "production" environment.  In order to guarantee that we don't
have any "strange" downloads show up - we isolate our deployment
environment by segregating from the build environment.  It is somewhat
clunky - but, we've not see a good reason to load our production
libraries/dependencies in to there own repo.

That said, we would really like to get to the point where all of our
dependencies reside in a local repo.  My team is getting
geographically dispersed rapidly - and new developers are coming on.
It would be easiest is we provide a modified settings.xml file which
only allows building against our local repo.

Kit
--
Kit Plummer
Nobody-in-Charge @ Black:Hole:Logic

Re: ServiceMix without Maven

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/
Castor - http://castor.org/

Re: ServiceMix without Maven

Posted by Kit Plummer <ki...@gmail.com>.
On 7/9/07, Mark T. <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> kitplummer wrote:

> >> download.

> >> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*"

> >> http://www.blackholelogic.com/assets/2007/7/5/servicemix-lwcontainer_screencast.mov

> >> Thanks for the answer.    As a system administrator I am trying to
> >> determine
> >> requirements for the use/support for ServiceMix and or Maven.   As Maven
> >> would require an additional repository to maintain in my environment, I
> >> was
> >> curious if not using Maven was an option; while still providing
> >> developers
> >> the tools to develop and deploy packages to Service Mix.
> >>

> >> --
> >>

> > Yep.  Been there.
> >
> > I realize there's a bit of a learning curve (more so than Ant) to
> > Maven.  But, the overhead (resources) required by Maven is well worth
> > the efficiency in development.  My employer was very hesitant about
> > Maven and the management of Open libraries and their versions -
> > initially.  We've come to greatly value what the public and local
> > Maven repos provide.  As you build SE/BC/SA/SU components having a
> > local repository is of great value.
> >
> > What we do locally is embed a Maven repo inside of a Subversion
> > repository.  This way we can control library versions, and lock-down
> > for access control.  So, if a particular component requires some
> > special version we can capture it locally, and reference it from
> > Maven's pom.xml in the component.  We also use the same repository to
> > home internally developed components - as to be used by anyone inside
> > our company firewall.
> >
> > We've also come to greatly appreciate Maven's integration with
> > Continuum as well as many of the other plugins (Javadoc generation,
> > site generation, etc.).  Dependency management is huge though - and I
> > don't think there is anything even remotely close from any other tool.
> >  By using Maven's site building plugin we get a fabricated transitive
> > dependency report which we use in Technology Readiness Reviews (before
> > we go production).  We know EXACTLY what is needed to deploy.
> >
> > Anyway - don't get hung up on Mavens steep learning curve...and don't
> > let developer's laziness curb you either.  Ant is nice - but, Maven is
> > powerful.
> >

> By the way, what is the size of your Maven repository?

It is roughly 450MB.

Posted by "Mark T." <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Mark T." <ma...@gmail.com>.

bsnyder wrote:

> On 7/5/07, Mark T. <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That is the exact position that I am currently in.   I am very reluctant
>> at
>> this moment to use Maven.  Specifically the versioning and management of
>> the
>> repository.  We must have  the ability to certify our product will work
>> when
>> building against maven.  Management of the various dependency versions
>> seems
>> to be a huge headache waiting to happen.
>
> Actually Maven is managing the artifacts based on the versions you
> tell it to use (via the pom.xml file) for the compilation and
> packaging of the project. Once you tell it what versions to use, it
> handles the download and inclusion of those dependencies in the
> artifacts that are created from the project.
>
>> The site building plugin you mentioned.  Does that report on the exact
>> dependency versions in the Maven repository or the required dependency
>> version as required by a project?
>
> The site plugin can create a whole laundry list of different reports
> depending on what plugins you tel it to use. One of those plugins
> generates a report of all the dependencies used by a project. This
> shows you exactly what dependencies and their versions are used by a
> given project.
>
>> I am currently trying to wrap my brain around Maven, to see what can/has
>> be done.... I have a long way to go.   Thanks for all of your input.
>
> The initial change from Ant to Maven can see rather odd. In fact, I
> can even remember when Kit was pretty opposed to Maven but it seems
> that he has changed his mind ;-). I suggest reading a few things to
> get you going:
>
> An introduction to Maven 2
> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-12-2005/jw-1205-maven.html?lsrc=maven-users
>
> Maven Getting Started Guide
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/index.html
>
> Maven: The Definitive Guide
> http://www.sonatype.com/book/
>
> Bruce
> --
> perl -e 'print
> );'
>
> Apache Geronimo - http://geronimo.apache.org/
> Castor - http://castor.org/

Thanks.  I am reading the Definitive Guide right now.

Re: ServiceMix without Maven

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kit Plummer <ki...@gmail.com>.
On 7/6/07, Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/6/07, Mark T. <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I will be the first to admit, most of my fears are based upon a lack of
> > Maven knowledge..  The more I read/hear it seems that Maven will be able to
> > address my concerns.
>
> This is definitely a very common situation and statement. Nearly every
> person I've helped get started with Maven (and there are a *lot* of
> those now) have made this very statement. The one exception to this is
> a small group of folks who simply refuse to read up and learn
> something new.
>
> Bruce
> );'
>
> Apache Geronimo - http://geronimo.apache.org/
> Castor - http://castor.org/

Yep, we're definitely one of Bruce's success stories.  I think there
is a basic problem that people encounter when introduced to Maven: it
is another build tool option.  But, one must look beyond comparing
Maven to Ant, or make, or whatever.

Maven, and it's documentation/support channel has come a long way
since we first started using it to.  Funny, how documentation always
seems to come into the discussion with Open projects.

Back to the archetype plugin.  The ability build skeletons, and import
them into the IDE of choice is invaluable from my perspective as a
software project manager.  I can turn on a C++ developer to a 5-minute
tutorial and then all they have to do is populate the logic in Java.
The spin up time gets cut extremely short if they don't have to learn
about all the stuff going on underneath.

Kit

Re: ServiceMix without Maven

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Mark T." <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kit Plummer <ki...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Mark T." <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kit Plummer <ki...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Mark T." <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kit Plummer <ki...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Mark T." <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by kitplummer <ki...@gmail.com>.

Mark T. wrote:

> bsnyder wrote:
>>
>> On 7/3/07, Mark T. <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> If I am only using the binary installations of ServiceMix.  Do I have to
>>> have
>>> maven installed?
>>>
>>> I am planning on using ant for any JBI packaging or static
>>> configuration.
>>
>> No, Maven is not required if you're only using the binary download.
>> Maven is required if you are:
>>
>> a) Building the ServiceMix source code
>> b) Using ServiceMix Maven archetypes to create SU and SA project
>> skeletons
>>
>> Bruce
>> --
>> perl -e 'print
>> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*"
>> );'
>>
>> Apache Geronimo - http://geronimo.apache.org/
>> Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/
>> Apache ServiceMix - http://servicemix.org/
>> Castor - http://castor.org/
>>

> Can you clarify SU and SA?  thanks.

I finally got my blog back up.  I'd posted a screencast of putting together
a SU/SA package a while back - think it might be beneficial to see the power

Posted by Kit Plummer <ki...@gmail.com>.
It is possible to use a maven feature (archetype) to create Service
Unit and Service Assemblie skeletons and the associated build/deploy
mechanics.  This is true for Service Engines as well.

There's some documentation on the SM site:

http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/hello-world-se.html
http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/notes-on-creating-jbi-component-using-maven2.html

Kit

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 7/3/07, Mark T. <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you clarify SU and SA?  thanks.

Have a read of these FAQ items and you'll understand:

http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/what-is-a-jbi-su-and-how-do-i-create-one.html
http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/what-is-a-jbi-sa-and-how-do-i-create-one.html

Bruce
);'