Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Srijith Kochunni <Sr...@microfocus.com> on 2021/08/27 10:50:35 UTC

Query regarding maxConnections attribute

Hi,

            We have a project requirement that we need to scale up to accept very high number of connections. I understand that setting maxConnections to -1 will disable the counting of the connections. I just wanted to know whether there are any performance implications when bumping up the maxConnections from the default value of 8192 to a very high number like 65K+.

            Will this cause any adverse impact on the functioning of Tomcat.? We're currently on version 9.0.37

Thanks,
Srijith.

Re: Query regarding maxConnections attribute

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Srijith,

On 8/27/21 06:50, Srijith Kochunni wrote:
> We have a project requirement that we need to scale up to accept very
> high number of connections. I understand that setting maxConnections
> to -1 will disable the counting of the connections. I just wanted to
> know whether there are any performance implications when bumping up
> the maxConnections from the default value of 8192 to a very high
> number like 65K+.

I would think that at 65k connections, you might end up with other parts
of your system that can't come with such high volumes.

Do you expect 65k *simultaneous* requests? Are these HTTP or HTTP/2
connections, or something like WebSocket where you may have long-lived
connections but maybe not much data crossing those connections?

> Will this cause any adverse impact on the functioning of Tomcat.?
> We're currently on version 9.0.37

Tomcat will be fine.

It's not clear whether your OS or other resources (memory, data-store,
etc.) will be able to handle it. Also remember that your TCP/IP stack
may limit the total number of connections on a single socket, and your
OS (usually) limits the number of open file descriptors.

If you are looking at that kind of load, it makes me think you may want
to look at scaling horizontally.

-chris