Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu> on 2002/07/20 03:42:06 UTC

How does jakarta.apache.org work?

I just setup cocoon and they reference generating static content-- but
doesn't really describe anything.  It does point at jakarta.apache.org
as an example of this, and I was wondering if anyone could provide some
details as to how changes are maintained, etc.

Jacob Hookom
CS Student
University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire

---

Re: How does jakarta.apache.org work?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Jacob Hookom wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 20:42:06 -0500
> From: Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>
> Subject: How does jakarta.apache.org work?
>
> I just setup cocoon and they reference generating static content-- but
> doesn't really describe anything.  It does point at jakarta.apache.org
> as an example of this, and I was wondering if anyone could provide some
> details as to how changes are maintained, etc.

The Jakarta web site (well, most of it anyway) is maintained as a set of
XML files in the CVS repository "jakarta-site2", which you can grab
through anonymous CVS to see how it works.  The build process transforms
the XML source documents into corresponding HTML files which are then
uploaded to the web server (for performance reasons, the transformations
are not done live).

Different Jakarta subprojects do different things for their own
subdirectories.  For Struts, we just upload the contents of the
struts-documentation WAR file (also generated from XML).  Some Jakarta
projects are adopting the Maven build system (currently in "beta 5"),
which incorporates a set of stylesheets for standardized look and feel.

The web server that runs jakarta.apache.org runs all the other Apache web
sites as well, and gets several million hits a day.  Dynamic
transformation would be way too processor intensive for the hardware that
it runs on.

> Jacob Hookom
> CS Student
> University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire