Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Andy LoPresto <al...@apache.org> on 2018/05/22 22:46:12 UTC

Re: How to run NiFi on HTTPS

Apache NiFi does not support Basic Authentication in any scenario. There are multiple options for user authentication to the NiFi UI/API, including LDAP, Kerberos, client certificates, Apache Knox, and OpenID Connect. More details about configuring these options are available in the Admin Guide [1].

As for your TLS error, my guess is that there is an error with the certificate you generated. The error “No overlapping cipher suites available” can occur when the certificate is expired or otherwise invalid, and all the available cipher suites require an RSA key for signing or encryption. To further debug this, you can use the OpenSSL s_client tool to attempt to make a connection via the command line, and enable the JSSE SSL debugging via a modification to bootstrap.conf. Once you restart, you should see additional TLS/SSL debug output in logs/nifi-bootstrap.conf.

For us to be able to offer further advice, you’ll need to provide more information, like stacktraces from your logs, or the openssl output from examining the certificates. Images do not come through on the list, so please copy and paste text output instead. There are other possible explanations, such as OS-limited cipher suites available, older browser versions, etc. but these are much less common.

Add this line to bootstrap.conf:

java.arg.15=-Djavax.net.debug=ssl,handshake

[1] https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/administration-guide.html#user_authentication

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com

Re: How to run NiFi on HTTPS

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@apache.org>.
I’d like to clarify some of the details here to ensure that Brajendra and other community users who find this have the correct information.

The decision of which SSL/TLS protocol version (SSLv3, TLSv1, TLSv1.1, TLSv1.2) to use is made in conjunction by the server and the client (in this case NiFi and the user’s browser). TLS public certificates (the data presented by the server during TLS handshake negotiation) wrap a public RSA or DSA key, and do not have an inherent TLS protocol version associated with them [1].

In general, a server can support many different protocol versions at once, and during the ClientHello portion of the negotiation, the client sends the maximum protocol version it can support, and a list of cipher suites it can support, in order of preference [2]. The server then selects one of its protocols that meets the client requirements, as well as a cipher suite that does the same. If there is no overlap between these two lists, the client will receive a “no cipher suites in common” error message and the handshake will fail.

Once the client and server agree on a protocol version and cipher suite, more information is exchanged, such as the client certificate (if requested), Diffie-Hellman key exchange, etc.

In NiFi’s specific case, NiFi versions 1.2.0 and later only support TLSv1.2 for incoming HTTPS connections [3]. This means that the UI and API are always protected with TLSv1.2 if HTTPS is enabled. NiFi can still perform outgoing requests to legacy servers using older protocol versions if necessary. SSLv3 protocol is not used to serve NiFi resources at all.

You’ll need to provide further stacktraces from NiFi in order for anyone to diagnose what issues you are encountering. You can enable Java SSL debugging by adding the following line to bootstrap.conf and restarting:

> java.arg.15=-Djavax.net.debug=ssl,handshake

[1] https://www.globalsign.com/en/blog/ssl-vs-tls-difference/ <https://www.globalsign.com/en/blog/ssl-vs-tls-difference/>
[2] https://security.stackexchange.com/a/20847/16485 <https://security.stackexchange.com/a/20847/16485>
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Release+Notes#ReleaseNotes-Version1.2.0 <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Release+Notes#ReleaseNotes-Version1.2.0>

Andy LoPresto