Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by Steven Knowles <em...@knowles.net.au> on 2013/11/12 06:45:50 UTC

Prohibit operator not working with phrase

This question will highlight how much I don't know, but hoping somebody can help me get to the bottom of a puzzle.

I'm trying to ascertain why inclusion of, for instance:

-"united bank"

.. ie. a prohibit operator and phrase, not on its own but together with some other required operators, does NOT return a document which DOES NOT contain the phrase "united bank".

The document which isn't returned, but should be so far as my understanding goes, is a Word (.doc) document. I've checked for "united bank" within metadata, but can find no trace. I have tested another phrase and same result, ie. the problem doesn't appear to be specific to this particular phrase.

The document in question is definitely indexed, because it appears in all manner of other searches.

I know that we use Lucene in conjunction with MySQL and ASP.NET, and this all runs on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. I know also that MySQL WorkBench 5.2.44 CE is used. But to ascertain what version of Lucene is used, I'd need some guidance on where to look.

Is there somebody who can guide me on whether it's a known issue, whether I need to arrange update of Lucene, whether there's some kind of setting I need to tweak ?

I'm sure there's info that I haven't provided which might help somebody answer the questions, so happy to hear what info is needed.

I'd like to understand the reason for the problem so that I can either tailor searches accordingly, or make it work how I think it should work.

Many thanks, Steven

Re: Prohibit operator not working with phrase

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com>.
Pinged you

Posted by Steven Knowles <em...@knowles.net.au>.

Posted by Anders Lybecker <an...@lybecker.com>.