Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/17 13:28:42 UTC

JDK 9 builds

Hi NB dev team,

  As we all know, NB cannot be built using Java 9. With 9 way past its
GA, it seems to pose a roadblock
for new contributors, as they need to switch between 9 and 8
environments for contributing.
I was wondering, what exactly blocks the j9 builds? As far as I can
remember, the ant script tries to download
the javac, self-compile it and then build an ant bootstrap with it,
which fails.

Can someone more knowledgeable in this area of Netbeans/ant shed more
light on the issue? Why exactly do
we need the special ant bootstrap and why do we have to redownload and
self-compile the javac?

There may be some people out there who would volunteer to work on this.
Myself included, but I cannot make any promises right now.

Thanks,
Martin

Re: JDK 9 builds

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

A few comments:

It should be possible to set:
nbjdk.home=<path-to-jdk8>

in:
nbbuild/user.build.properties

When running on runtime JDK 9+, the build should be able to use JDK 8 to
build without manual switching.

The issue with "-source 8" is that this only switches the input language,
but not the JDK libraries. So it may happen the code would unintentionally
use JDK 9 APIs, in which case it would not run on JDK 8. Using "--release
8" is better in this regard (if the code compiles using --release 8, then
it should run on JDK 8, as the JDK 8 versions of the libraries are used),
but could be tricky to convert the Java support to it.

The (JDK 9) javac is downloaded and compiled to ensure we compile against
the JDK 9 version (even when running the build on 8).

I think it is important to separate on which JDKs NetBeans runs (which I
think currently is JDK 8, 9 and the upcoming 10) and on which it builds
(which currently is JDK 8). I don't think we should remove a runtime
platform at this time, but to me, it is fine to discuss if we want to add
or move the build time JDK. So, to me personally, contributions on this are
welcome. (Even though I suspect this may be somewhat non trivial.)

Thanks,
    Jan

Re: JDK 9 builds

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
I suspect the jump from 8 to 9 is harder than from 9 to 10. NetBeans has a custom module system that will need some massaging to play nice with the Java 9 modules.

NetBeans generally ran on the previous JDK too. So, supporting Java 8 and Java 9 at the same time might be complicated/more work if APIs changed.

Generally speaking I really doubt not having Java 9 is limiting contributors. The NetBeans codebase is complicated enough. If you do manage to produce some patches, installing JDK 8 and using that for NetBeans builds seems like the smallest hurdle.

--emi
​
Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 12:37 AM, Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Of course, all of this is only my personal opinion. I'm not trying to start
> a war here :)

Who says you're starting a war? :-) You've made a suggestion. Some people
have agreed with you. Other people have disagreed with you. I've provided a
few noted on ways forward for discussion.

You are welcome to continue the discussion and focus on which of the
different solutions we should focus on, etc. You've given thoughts on this
already and I'm sure others will have ideas too.

Thanks,

Gj

Re: JDK 9 builds

Posted by John Muczynski <jo...@gmail.com>.
I agree that the JDK issue is technical debt. Maybe jumping straight to JDK
10 would be a good solution?

Re: JDK 9 builds

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

a couple of more ideas / comments

1. Use multi release jar's to be compatible with 8 and 9 - maybe changes to
NetBeans custom classloaders needed?

2. Upgrade real old required source levels, which are not supported anymore
beginning with Java 9

-Sven

Am 18.02.2018 1:19 nachm. schrieb "Neil C Smith" <ne...@apache.org>:

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 at 23:37 Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Because after 9, there will be 10, and after 10, 11. From my experience,
> the longer you stay stuck on a technology, the harder it is to migrate
> afterwards.

You're reading something into my answer that I didn't say and definitely
wasn't intended.  I'm not suggesting we ignore the post-JDK 9  world, or as
John said there isn't a technical debt to address, but that IMO the build
should always by default always require an LTS in this brave new world,
with the experimental option of later JDK's as a nice-to-have as we update
towards future LTS.

Yes, that requires contributors to have JDK 8 available, but I really
disagree with you that this is much of a barrier.  Lots of developers are
not using JDK 9+ yet anyway, and I would expect most of those experimenting
with it still have JDK 8 installed too.

> Have you heard that Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will ship JDK 10 and bump it to 11 in
> a point release?

Well, Ubuntu are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place with dates
there!  Still, they're not planning on removing OpenJDK 8 either.

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: JDK 9 builds

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Re: JDK 9 builds

Posted by Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com>.

Re: JDK 9 builds

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 17 Feb 2018, 23:07 Martin Dindoffer, <md...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If there isn't such a thing present, the importance of supporting JDK9
> building
> will only increase over time.

Why?! JDK 8 support will outlast JDK 9. I can see supporting building on a
non-LTS being a nice-to-have, but surely not that important?

Best wishes,

Neil

> --
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist
www.neilcsmith.net

Re: JDK 9 builds

Posted by Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com>.

Re: JDK 9 builds

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: JDK 9 builds

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
No, nobody needs to switch between JDKs when contributing, as far as I know.

Jan Lahoda and others can provide details on what needs to be done to
build NetBeans on JDK 9, though I wonder whether that is a priority.
So long as NetBeans can run on JDK 9 (which it can), it doesn't really
matter as far as I can see that it needs JDK 8 for building it.

From those who've been contributing code so far, I don't see that this