Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Craig Zilles <zi...@cs.uiuc.edu> on 2006/09/19 22:24:41 UTC

question about support for compressed StringBuffers

	I noticed in the file trunk/vm/vmcore/src/util/vm_strings.cpp there
is some code to support the storage of strings in arrays of (8b)
bytes rather than arrays of (16b) unsigned shorts.  In the debugger,
I placed breakpoints in this code, and it was never active in my run.

	Can someone tell me the current status of this code and, if it is
active, how I can turn it on?  (From inspecting the source, it looked
inactive via hardcoding "false" on whether to compress the strings).
I might be interested in working on this code.

													- Craig

Re: question about support for compressed StringBuffers

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.
On 9/22/06, Craig Zilles <zi...@cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>        Okay, I'm going to be playing around with this code and other
> approaches for "[C" compression.
>
> Weldon -
>
>        you say:
>
> > historically things like string compression make a difference to
> > heap footprint and cache miss performance
>
>        do you know of other VMs that do this optimizations and if so if
> there is any public documentation?

Actually, I intentionally do not know about other VM implementations.  Its a
clean room thing.  In the past, I worked on ORP which morphed into DRLVM.  I
do remember some experiments on compressing [C.  From what I recall, it had
benefit.  The unused code you see in the source base is probably from these
experiments.

Posted by Craig Zilles <zi...@cs.uiuc.edu>.

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.
hmm... I tried to putting a standard  title on this email.  It looks like we
all suffer from too much email.  So I repeat what I said earlier.

 All,
I took a look at this code.  I vote for keeping it.  The reason is because
Java is string intensive and historically things like string compression
make a difference to heap footprint and cache miss performance.   It looks

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
Just a thought:

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
So do we fix it or scrap it?