Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2013/06/16 16:16:48 UTC

[DISCUSS] PodlingBillOfRights

Since I realize that most of you can't be
bothered to look at the wiki page I created ;-),
I'll go ahead and post the current content
here for commentary.  I hope the bulk of it
is non-controversial, though some of it may
not belong on the page...

First a clarification- as provisional constructs of the Incubator PMC, podlings have no official standing in the corporation known as The Apache Software Foundation. So technically, it is a farce to claim that podlings have any formal rights whatsoever. What we write about here are promises and covenants the Incubator PMC will make a good-faith effort to honor.

    1. First, podlings have a right to expect active participation and guidance from their mentors. That minimally includes participation in release votes, discussions and votes on new personnel, and signing off on a podling's quarterly reports.

    2. Mentoring is done solely for the podling's benefit, and as such podlings have the right to fire mentors for any reason by a majority consensus vote on their private list. Just don't be denigrating about it, since mentors are always volunteers and not paid staff.

    3. Podlings who find themselves in need of additional mentors have the right to ask general@incubator for more mentors to volunteer.

    4. Podlings have the right to expect their quarterly reports to be read, reviewed, and critiqued by "shepherds" on the Incubator PMC, who are typically outside the podling's set of mentors.

    5. Podlings have the right to express private concerns about anything related to their incubation to the Incubator Ombudsman <om...@incubator>, who will handle such communications as if they were sent anonymously.

    6. Podlings have the right to express their opinions concerning their incubation efforts post-graduation (or post-mortem) in the form of an anonymous survey.

    7. Podlings have the right to ignore commentary made on general@incubator in the middle of a VOTE thread, especially during releases. Reminder- release votes are a majority consensus vote, so seeing a few -1's occasionally is expected and often ignorable by the RM should they otherwise see a majority of at least 3 binding IPMC votes.

Re: [DISCUSS] PodlingBillOfRights

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
FWIW, I read it, and liked it. I would support something like this in
terms of making it clearer what we are promising to podlings.

I guess a question that it would be worth clarifying - what happens to a
perfectly reasonable podling who's mentors resign/go awol, when the
Incubator PMC cannot recruit replacements? Can we make any promises at
that point?

Upayavira

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
>________________________________

Technically it's Alan's proposal not mine, but we're not all that different
in spirit.  The "complaints" we are looking for are about the incubation
process, not about the podling's efforts at self-governance.  It is important
to me that whomever is in the role of receiving such complaints not get
themselves in the middle of a project dispute- it's important for podlings
and full projects alike to deal with their own issues themselves through
the normal channels.

>> Isn't this an academic question?  Those of us that have been here a while have
>> seen any number of cases where podling committers feel frustrated about the
>> process and powerless to do anything about it.  This isn't a new problem.
>
>As you probably noticed, I've only started this discussion in the context
>of a PodlingBillOfRights. You did a great job of *reminding* podlings of
>their rights. Note, that just like in criminal law -- not reading somebody their
>Miranda rights doesn't mean they don't have them -- but reading them
>does make a huge difference. I think we can all agree that podlings already
>have those rights -- we are just making it really explicit.
>
>In that line of thought, what's not clear to me is what would be the
>difference if we changed your right #5 to:

>5. Podlings have the right to express private concerns about anything
>related to
>their incubation to their mentors and in private to the IPMC chair
>(email goes here).
>If they feel their concerns are still not being addressed they have a
>right to escalate
>to private@incubator.apache.org or all the way to the ASF board at
>board-private@apache.org
>This is the same right as given to all ASF project members.

That would be perfectly fine with me if the Ombudsman proposal does not meet
with the group's approval.  I would in any case like to stabilize the document
with a proper email alias for the communications, so either ombudsman@incubator
or vp@incubator would be fine for that.

Re: [DISCUSS] PodlingBillOfRights

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
<jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The typical escalation path is either board@ or board-private@ assuming private messages
> to the chair are ineffective.  Most of the time, for most of our projects, this has worked well enough.

So isn't learning this bit of information a crucial part of graduation? After
all, once the project leaves the incubator its commiters and PMC won't have
an access to the Ombudsman, isn't it in all of our best interest to teach
them from the get-go what you've just described above?

What's the danger of hooking up poddlings to the very channels they should
be using once they graduate?

> The real issue for the IPMC boils down to the judgement call of whether the standard
> escalation procedures are working to everyone's satisfaction,

Do we have real indication they are not?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [DISCUSS] PodlingBillOfRights

Posted by Joseph Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
The typical escalation path is either board@ or board-private@ assuming private messages to the chair are ineffective.  Most of the time, for most of our projects, this has worked well enough.

The real issue for the IPMC boils down to the judgement call of whether the standard escalation procedures are working to everyone's satisfaction, or are we now able to recognize a clear need for an independent, neutral contact point.  All I can say is that I've seen this debated in the past while seemingly always failing to capture the core decision that really needs to be made. I trust this time round we'll stay focus on the practical issues and ignore our gut feelings about artificiality or other semantic concerns.

When you task someone to serve in this capacity, you don't necessarily wind up in a better place than when you started, because separating the wheat from the chaff in terms of new information gathered requires patience and skill. It's not easy to remain unbiased and objective and it can be emotionally draining and seemingly unrewarding, especially if it becomes a backdoor for leveling misconduct charges against each other.

But you have to have faith that there will be an upside to doing the outreach necessary to help us understand our true impact on these podlings.  Reasonable people can disagree about the time and the place for an ombudsman, but I hope our willingness to grow and learn affords us some room for having some purposeful faith in where this could lead in our quest to do a better job at this.  If this isn't the time or the place, what would be?

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Re: Instead of a Bill how about a Booklet? (was Re: [DISCUSS] PodlingBillOfRights)

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> 2) Apache has been around long enough and is large enough to have its own
> culture, with its own societal rules and tribal history.   Lots of it is
> written down, but it is hard to find.

I never thought of that...Apache policy is the written equivalent of oral
history.

Don

Re: Instead of a Bill how about a Booklet? (was Re: [DISCUSS] PodlingBillOfRights)

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 09:22:02AM -0700, Alex Harui wrote:
> Hi,  As a newbie, I've generally quietly watched from the sidelines, but
> now I'm jumping in.
>
> +1 about "expectations" vs "rights".  In fact, it occurred to me that a
> booklet or pamphlet more like the "What to expect whenŠ" book would be
> better.  IMO, correctly set expectations make for happier people.  Here is
> my draft of  "What to expect when you enter the Apache Incubator".

This it a fantastic idea, and I feel like you have a *really* strong
start with your draft.  Almost all of the issues that I (and others)
within CloudStack ran into were in your text...  great distillation of
what to expect and how to deal with things!

Re: Instead of a Bill how about a Booklet? (was Re: [DISCUSS] PodlingBillOfRights)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 6/21/13 7:12 AM, "Chip Childers" <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 08:22:00PM +0100, Upayavira wrote:
>> If, for whatever reason, they are unable or
>> unwilling to, you can ask on the incubator general list. If the optic is
>> too sensitive to discuss in public (eg a potential committer) you may
>> contact the incubator ombudsman at xxx@apache.org.
>
>Shouldn't this be private@incubator.apache.org *first*, and then the
>ombudsman only when it's a "complaint" that doesn't seem to be addressed
>through normal list discussions?

Even private@ could be readable by the person you are complaining about,
plus this assumes there will be an ombudsman, which isn't clear will be
the case.

I would say it this way:

11) Expect to be frustrated (or annoyed or even angered) at least once by
the failure of people to act as you justifiably think they should based on
whatever documents or emails you've read, or the role they claim
responsibility for, or even based on common sense.  You might need one
more binding vote, or need consensus on what looks like a simple question
but ends up being debated for days when you need a ruling "yesterday".  If
you choose to lodge a complaint against an individual, remember that every
mailing list is archived, some of them publicly, and the individual you
are complaining about may someday see what you have written.  Before
complaining about an individual, find a mentor or ASF member and approach
them off-list, mainly as a sanity check to make sure your complaint is
justified in someone else's view, but also so that mentor or ASF member
can offer different ways to potentially resolve the problem.  It is
generally wise not to name names in your early emails as you may not be
able to predict any existing relationship between the person you are
writing to and are writing about.  A good way to choose an ASF member is
by getting a sense for who they are by their writings on general@incubator
or other ASF mailing lists.  In other words, if you are new to the
neighborhood, it is prudent to be careful complaining about one of your
neighbors to the other neighbors until you understand the relationships
between them.

-Alex

Re: Instead of a Bill how about a Booklet? (was Re: [DISCUSS] PodlingBillOfRights)

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
To distinguish between these two documents, they have different
flavours. One sets the expectations of podlings members, the other tells
mentors what is expected of them. This latter one should not be
forgotten. It is easy to sign up as a mentor, but not so easy to follow
through.

Having something you can be judged against is useful.

Upayavira

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@yarcdata.com>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@yarcdata.com>.
+1

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
A simple alternative is 'expectation'. However, I have no problem with
using it the way Joe wrote it.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.