Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Feilpe Vieira Silva <fg...@gmail.com> on 2004/11/04 19:07:02 UTC

how can I use an ANT task inside my maven.xml

Dear members,

I have an ANT build.xml files, with several well tested tasks and now
I´m trying to migrate to maven.

can I just copy these tasks inside of the maven.xml? and how can I call them?
if not, what I must do instead?

regards,

    Felipe Gaúcho
    Schoolbus owner
    https://schoolbus.dev.java.net

Re: building a complex file hierarchy

Posted by Eric Giguere <er...@videotron.ca>.
Hello guys

I've created a plugin to handle building complex distributions. I called
it uber-dist.
My setup on source forge is almost complete. I'll send a message in the
list as the download is ready.

In a nutshell, my plugin calls a goal you write in your maven.xml file.
It also offers a couple of automatic features including deployment of
dependencies with name override (to get rid of version numbers for
instance), deploy directory override, launch script copy with filtering,
etc.  But in the end, if you don't produce the standard maven artifact,
you will have to write some Ant / jelly code in maven.xml but, at least,
you'll be doing it in a maven friendly approach.

The project from which I've created this plugin for in the first place
holds many hundreds lines of Ant code and creates a lot of artifacts.
First phase was to make the Ant code callable in a maven project...
embed the Ant calls in a maven.xml and phase 2 was to get rid of useless
Ant code (like calls to javac for instance) To be more like a "real"
maven project.

Based on this architecture, I've created the plugin that build, under
target, completely new distribution "file-system" that gets tarred
and/or zipped.

Later!
Eric.

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.
I wonder the same thing!!!

Posted by Christopher L Merrill <ch...@webperformanceinc.com>.
Rather than building a single artifact, our project builds many small
artifacts and them puts them together, along with many other file
resources, into a complex hierarchy.  This is then used by our installer
(IA6) to create our installed images.

I'm new to Maven, so I'm probably still approaching this problem with an
ANT mindset, rather than Maven.  Is there some Maven task to help in
this final step of our process (assembling the hierarchy), or is this the
right place to drop back to ANT scripting to finish the job?

TIA,

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.           |  http://www.webperformancemonitoring.net

Website Load Testing, Stress Testing, and Performance Monitoring Software

Re: how can I use an ANT task inside my maven.xml

Posted by Feilpe Vieira Silva <fg...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for the frindly support.

The issue is about culture of my project members. My new project is
growing up very quick and now we have several members expert in ANT
and some members optimist about MAVEN (including me). I need arguments
to convince these people about the gain in using MAVEN - at least
convince them to try :).

>From my point of view, maven is a step ahead of ANT, but I need to
post it in a convincent and elegant way :) to avoid team stress.

Your tips will help me a lot, thank you very much,

Posted by martin ruff <mr...@infometis.ch>.
Hi Feilpe

Posted by Eric Giguere <er...@videotron.ca>.
Hey Feilpe

Yes, you can, as long as they are ant 1.5 compatible, no problem.
I personnaly migrated a lot of Ant legacy code to a new maven.xml and it
did workout nicely.

Hope it helps.
Eric.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
All Ant tasks are first class citizens in Maven.  So when maven does a
<copy/> it is using the Ant copy task.  For examples on scripting in Maven,
look in maven-plugins in CVS.  Look for ant: to find lots of examples.

Here's an article about writing a plugin, which is representative of writing
a maven.xml as well:
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/03/17/maven.html

It links to a good howto to get started as well..

Eric