Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2006/11/22 03:41:27 UTC

Schema Subsystem Redesign (was: Re: [OT] [Oredev] I'm back)

Norval Hope wrote:
> Congrats!
>
> On (4) "dynamic schema updates" would be grateful if you could answer
> a few of my "bigger picture" questions re DIRSEVER-760. I have a
> working UberJarMain server on the schema branch but need your advice
> on:
>    1. what you think of my general implementation approach, so as not
> to waste time if you see problems
>    2. where to store conf/*.schema files in SVN and how to copy them
> to where they're needed (for all release flavours) by Maven.
>
> On 2.: I read up on Maven a bit on the weekend and did some google
> trawling, but it seems that handling of non-.jar resources is quite an
> open issue (the only reference I found
> (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-users/200406.mbox/%3CFAEDKHIHLNJIDAPGKOKMEENGCEAA.michael.mattox@verideon.com%3E)
>
> discussed copying the files using the ANT plugin).
>
> As Emmanuel pointed out the integration tests are broken, but I
> suspect that is because of the missing .schema files (or possibly even
> a missing conf/ directory in which to put them).

Sorry! It's taking me a while to get through my emails.  Will respond
though :).

Alex

Re: Schema Subsystem Redesign (was: Re: [OT] [Oredev] I'm back)

Posted by Norval Hope <nr...@gmail.com>.
No problem; I understand you're a very busy guy!

Due to the maven questions I was thinking of trying a different tack
where the core .schemas are included in the core bundle (via a new
variety of SchemaLoader I'd need to write, taking an ordered list of
schema file resource references), but still having an external
directory into which additional .schema files can be placed after
deployment (using the existing FileSystemSchemaLoader) to handle the
really dynamic case.

Unfortunately maven isn't playing well with me today at work (not for
the first time) or i'd have starting working in the above direction.
Will try mavening again from home.

Thanks