Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by kumarlimbu <ku...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/16 04:10:17 UTC

Serving remote lucene client - RMI vs HTTP

Hi Everyone,

We are using lucene,nutch and spring framework to create a specialized
search engine. Due to growing traffic we are trying to scale. By doing some
tests we found out that the bottle neck was lucene search. We used some
heavy traffic simulation and logged the time taken by each portion of the
server response and found out that the bulk of the time was spent in
searching from lucene index.

In order to accomodate higher traffic we are planning on splitting our
application in 2 portions:
1. Web application (on 1 machine)
2. Search application (one more than 1 machine)

Each one of the application will reside on a (possibly) separate machines.
We are looking forward to scaling by adding more than 1 machine dedicated to
searching as lucene search seems to be the bottleneck.

Web application will provide the front-end to the user. All static pages,
images and the style information will reside on this machine. It will also
serve dynamic pages but all the searching will take place on the search
application. Web application will send search parameters to the search
application and after searching, it will send back the results to the web
application which will format it and display it to the user.

What we are unable to decide is whether to use RMI (
http://www.soft-amis.com/index.html?return=http://www.soft-amis.com/cluster4spring/index.html
cluster4spring  )or simple HTTP POST/GET request with response in XML
format. We did some research and found out that RMI (with clustering
support) might be more suitable for our needs. Unfortunately our team is not
familiar with RMI and so we don't know if there will be any issues with it
during implementation.
Advantage of using simple GET/POST is we have more control which searcher
app to use and when. An important criteria for us is to disable searching
from the searcher app who's index is being updated. This is very important
for us. Is there anyway in RMI to inform the web (client) application that a
particular server is unavailable (due to index being updated).

We would also like to know if anybody has implemented lucene searching in a
similar fashion. Thanks for your help.

Kumar Limbu

Re: Serving remote lucene client - RMI vs HTTP

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.
>Hi Everyone,
>
>We are using lucene,nutch and spring framework to create a specialized
>search engine. Due to growing traffic we are trying to scale. By doing some
>tests we found out that the bottle neck was lucene search. We used some
>heavy traffic simulation and logged the time taken by each portion of the
>server response and found out that the bulk of the time was spent in
>searching from lucene index.
>
>In order to accomodate higher traffic we are planning on splitting our
>application in 2 portions:
>1. Web application (on 1 machine)
>2. Search application (one more than 1 machine)

[snip]

Nutch already supports distributed Lucene searchers, using Hadoop RPC.

-- Ken
--
Ken Krugler
Krugle, Inc.

Re: Serving remote lucene client - RMI vs HTTP

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: And our final queries sent to lucene are quite complicated. This is because
: we need to confirm to a lot of criteria (some are set by users and some are
: internal logics). I don't think we can simplify our queries.

in my experience, your queries can always be made simpler by making your
indexing more complex -- that's not neccessarily a good tradeoff to make
in every situation, but it's usually possible to "denormalize" your index
to help decrease complexity.

: We are not sure about implementing using Solr because we crawl only specific
: type of sites and our crawling mechanism has proven to be quite stable. We

whether or not you want to use Solr is really independent of what kidn of
crawler you currently have -- you'd still use hte same crawler, but
dpeneding on how you wanted to leverage Solr either you'd change your
crawler to POST your new documents to Solr instead of writing the the
index directly, or you could keep writing to the index directly and just
use Solr to serve the searches (assuming you configure the Solr schema.xml
to match up with the fields/analyzers your crawler uses when writing to
the index so it can query on the right fields)

if you have no interest in using Solr to manage your index, even if you
have no interest in using Solr to search your index over HTTP, you might
want to take a look at the distribution scripts that come with Solr to
provide replication.  At the core they are incredibly simple, just
taking advantage of rsync, hard links, and properties of the lucene
fileformat to help minimize the amount of data that needs to go over the
wire when you want to index on one box and then replicate that index to 10
other boxes to distribute the search load.

-Hoss

Re: Serving remote lucene client - RMI vs HTTP

Posted by kumarlimbu <ku...@gmail.com>.
Hi EVeryone,

Thank you all for your replies.

And reply to your questions Grant:
We have more than 3 Million document in our index.
We get more than 150,000 searches (queries) per day. We expect this no to go
up. This count only includes actual user search and doesn't include robot
searches and other internal searches (for sending emails to user etc).
And our final queries sent to lucene are quite complicated. This is because
we need to confirm to a lot of criteria (some are set by users and some are
internal logics). I don't think we can simplify our queries.

And importantly we are looking to scale to a larger no. of traffic. Our
current performance in terms of speed is ok.

We are not sure about implementing using Solr because we crawl only specific
type of sites and our crawling mechanism has proven to be quite stable. We
are only looking to scale to larger no. of users and doing a new
implementation using Solr might be an overkill as time is a huge factor.

Best Regards,
Kumar

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Hi Kumar,

--------------------------

Posted by qi wu <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kumar,
I am also interested in this question. I have used simple HTTP POST/GET request with open search,and it requires about extra 15ms for  transferring search results between two machines.And want to know whether RMI can give a better performance.

Thanks
-Qi

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
> customizable Solr really is (rather the ease with which we can do it). Also
> Solr doesn't support queryFilter out of the box (Hossman: there's nothing to
> stop a solr request handler from using QueryFilter's if they want). How much
> extra work is it?

out of the box, solr supports query filters.  check:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommonQueryParameters#head-6522ef80f22d0e50d2f12ec487758577506d6002

If you have custom queries you need to make and using the standard
interface is not sufficient, it is relatively easy to write a custom
request handler.  Assuming you are used to working with lucene, writing
a custom handler should be straight forward.

ryan

Re: Serving remote lucene client - RMI vs HTTP

Posted by kumarlimbu <ku...@gmail.com>.
Thank you everyone for your response,

Size of our index is around 10GB. Our queries usually take similar response
times. Only exception is when we are updating our index and after the index
has been switched to a new one from the old one.

Yesterday, as Grant and Hossman pointed us to Solr and we will definitely
look at it. Solr looks like a very good implementation of searching using
lucene clusters. One of the concern for implementing searching using Solr is
that our current application is highly customized and we don't know how
customizable Solr really is (rather the ease with which we can do it). Also
Solr doesn't support queryFilter out of the box (Hossman: there's nothing to
stop a solr request handler from using QueryFilter's if they want). How much
extra work is it?

But we are very much interested in how Solr implements index distribution
over more than 1 machine. If you guys can provide other alternatives or
advise then please let me know. :)