Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Cocula Remi <rc...@sopragroup.com> on 2004/07/02 16:19:39 UTC

Question about remote searching

Hi,

I am trying to do remote searching via RMI.
In a first step I wrote my own remote search method that should return results as an object of type Hits.
But it does not work as the Hit class is not Serializable.
Then I took a look at the RemoteSearchable class and realized that it implements search using the low level API (ie:  public void search(Query query, Filter filter, HitCollector results)).

Elsewhere in Lucene source code I read that using the high level API (those how deals with Hits) is much more efficient.

Question : would it be possible to make the Hit class Serializable so it could be used through RMI mechanisms ?

Re: Question about remote searching

Posted by James Dunn <ja...@yahoo.com>.
You could wrap your RemoteSearchable in a
MultiSearcher and then search against that to get your
Hits object:

/Get a handle on the remote searchable
Searchable remoteSearchable = (Searchable)
Naming.lookup(serverName);

//Create an array of searchables, for use with
MultiSearcher
Searchable[] searchables = new Searchable[1];
searchables[0] = remoteSearchable;

//Create the searcher
MultiSearcher searcher = new
MultiSearcher(searchables);