Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> on 2020/02/03 13:54:37 UTC

FOSDEM talk: "From Oracle to Apache: News from NetBeans Community"

Hi all,

Several of us on the mailing list were at FOSDEM in Brussel yesterday
(Neil, Jan Lahoda, Martin Entlicher, Patrik Karlstrom) and it was a pretty
good event -- I think we should treat FOSDEM as a place where we can get
together every year and share new insights etc around NetBeans.

One of the talks was by me, specifically about the state and direction of
NetBeans, it takes about 20 minutes, take a look here:

https://mirror.cyberbits.eu/fosdem/2020/UD2.119/fromoracleapache.webm

Thanks,

Gj

Re: FOSDEM talk: "From Oracle to Apache: News from NetBeans Community"

Posted by James Gosling <ja...@norquay.com>.
Wow.I totally forgot that I had told that story.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Gosling <ja...@norquay.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Gosling <ja...@norquay.com>.

Posted by Brad Walker <bw...@musings.com>.
Nice!

-brad w.

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.
Cool!

Thanks,
Junichi

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, 3 Feb 2020 at 13:54, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> wrote:
> I think we should treat FOSDEM as a place where we can get
> together every year and share new insights etc around NetBeans.

+1

> One of the talks was by me, specifically about the state and direction of
> NetBeans

Is there a link to some of the resources you were using?  I might do a
NetBeans update for a local JUG in the near future, and I guess others
might be doing the same - be good to have a central place for useful
resources if we haven't already?

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: FOSDEM talk: "From Oracle to Apache: News from NetBeans Community"

Posted by Patrik Karlström <pa...@trixon.se>.
It was really nice to meet in person with parts of what makes NetBeans
NetBeans.

Thank you.

/Patrik

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
On 2/5/2020 4:49 AM, Carl Mosca wrote:
> I too used "Forte" a bit during my JBuilder days.  Brings back some good
> memories.

I used both as well. jVi was first available on JBuilder.

-ernie

PS Has the Oracle DBMS tool fully migrated from JBuidler to NetBeans?

Posted by Carl Mosca <ca...@gmail.com>.
I too used "Forte" a bit during my JBuilder days.  Brings back some good
memories.

Carl

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 7:36 AM Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Geertjan Wielenga schrieb am 03.02.2020 um 14:54:
> > Several of us on the mailing list were at FOSDEM in Brussel yesterday
> > (Neil, Jan Lahoda, Martin Entlicher, Patrik Karlstrom) and it was a
> pretty
> > good event -- I think we should treat FOSDEM as a place where we can get
> > together every year and share new insights etc around NetBeans.
> >
> > One of the talks was by me, specifically about the state and direction of
> > NetBeans, it takes about 20 minutes, take a look here:
> >
> > https://mirror.cyberbits.eu/fosdem/2020/UD2.119/fromoracleapache.webm
>
> The short introduction to the history of NetBeans reminded me
> that I started using NetBeans when it was still called "Forte for Java".
>
> Which I actually found odd a the time, because DEC (Digital Equipment,
> later acquired by Compaq)
> also had a tool named Forté which was a distributed application server -
> something completely different
>
> Thomas

Carl J. Mosca

Re: FOSDEM talk: "From Oracle to Apache: News from NetBeans Community"

Posted by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net>.

Posted by David Green <dg...@gmail.com>.
Very good presentation!

Thanks,

Dave

--
Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse any typos.