Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by garfield168 <ga...@gmx.de> on 2012/06/25 14:05:38 UTC

Logging with specialized logger for webapplication

Hello,

We use WebSphere as application server which has the standard logging files
SystemOut.log and SystemErr.log.
I want to create a log4j configuration with a special logger "SpecialLogger"
which logs all debug/info/error messages to a special log file. Additionally
error messages should be logged to SystemErr.log but the debug/info messages
from this logger should not be logged to SystemOut.log (but other info
messages not from this logger should be logged).
Maybe there is a solution with additivity="false" and LevelRangeFilter but I
cannot get it work like described.
Here is my last try:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/">
    <appender name="stdout" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">

        </layout>
    </appender>
  <appender name="SpecialLoggerAppender"
class="org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender">

        <layout class="org.apache.log4j.SimpleLayout"/>
         <filter class="org.apache.log4j.varia.LevelRangeFilter">

        </filter>
    </appender>
	<logger name="SpecialLogger" additivity="false">
		<level value="error" />
		<appender-ref ref="SpecialLoggerAppender" />
	</logger>

   	<root>
        <level value="error"/>
        <appender-ref ref="stdout" />
    </root>
</log4j:configuration>

Can someone help please?
Thanks in advance

AW: Logging with specialized logger for webapplication

Posted by Stadelmann Josef <jo...@axa-winterthur.ch>.
There is a root logger; and there are loggers lower in the hierarchies.

Each logger needs appenders. (devices) where ever a message originates,
as long as a logger is said that its additivity="false">
as long as the events logged by this logger are not propagated further to
the root logger. That is what additivity="false" does.

in your case you need to log all events with log.debug("debug") at your
special logger. With additivity="true" you allow that this logging events
will make it to upper loggers in the hierarchies and after all reach the
root logger

At the root logger you have an appender too, don't you?
This appender is now informed, to only log info, warning, error, fatal events only.

So make first sure that your special logger logs all events and that all events
reach the root logger then filter at the root not with the logger but the appender
of the root logger.

Josef

Re: Logging with specialized logger for webapplication

Posted by garfield168 <ga...@gmx.de>.
Hey,

I solved my problem. Mainly the target "System.err" in an extra
ConsoleAppender was missing.
I will attach the correct working log4j conf file.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p34071193/log4j.xml log4j.xml

Re: Logging with specialized logger for webapplication

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
I think some of your config is missing.  It must have gotten messed up by your
email client or something?  Maybe you can try to attach (can't remember if the
list allows attachments) or post a link to the config.

Jake