Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Alexandre Vermeerbergen <av...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/07 17:03:45 UTC

Is it possible to choose Kafa version with StormKafka from Storm 1.0.2 ?

Hello,

We have been happyly running our real-time supervision homebrewed
application with Apache Storm 1.0.1 and its out-of-the-box StormKafka spout
& bold with our Kafka Broker 0.9.0.1 cluster for more than 6 months.

We're been recently interested in upgrading our setup to Apache Storm
1.0.2, mainly because we sometime hit
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-1879

We also plan to soon upgrade our Kafka Broker cluster to 0.10.x

However, we noticed that Storm 1.0.2's KafkaSpout has been downgraded to
Kafka 0.8.2.2 : STORM-1755: Revert the kafka client version upgrade in
storm-kafka module

Kafka 0.10 brokers have a new message format which can be consumed and
produced to using older Kafka API, but at the price of performance

Is it posible to build a KafkaStorm support based on Kafka 0.10.x API ?

Best regards,
Alexandre

Re: Is it possible to choose Kafa version with StormKafka from Storm 1.0.2 ?

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.
Alexandre,

I guess there's no issue on deploying storm-kafka-client 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT to
Storm 1.0.2 cluster since there was no huge change on the API, though I
haven't tried.

- Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)

2017년 1월 12일 (목) 오후 6:22, Alexandre Vermeerbergen <av...@gmail.com>님이
작성:

Posted by Alexandre Vermeerbergen <av...@gmail.com>.
Hello Aaron,

Posted by Alexandre Vermeerbergen <av...@gmail.com>.
Hello Jungtae,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Is it possible for us to used storm-kafka-client 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT in our fat
jar, but deploy this fat jar with our existing Storm 1.0.1 cluster ; or do
we need to also upgrade our cluster to 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT as well (I hope not) ?

Best regards,
Alexandre

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexandre,