Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Roberto Nibali <rn...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/27 00:32:16 UTC

Equivalent replacements for drawLine and drawPolygon?

Hi

[Using PDFBox from latest SVN checkout]

Today, I toyed around by stamping objects onto a PDF and quickly moved
towards a set of abstracted functions to do so (one to draw a line, one to
set a text, one to draw a rectangle). When doing so, I hit some obsolete
functionality inside PDFBox, which I believe has no equivalent counterpart.
Consider the following methods:

private void addRect(PDDocument srcDoc, final PDPage page,
                     final float posX, final float posY, final float
offX, final float offY) throws IOException {
    float[] rectX = new float[]{posX, posX + offX, posX + offX, posX};
    float[] rectY = new float[]{posY, posY, posY + offY, posY + offY};
    PDPageContentStream contentStream = new
PDPageContentStream(srcDoc, page, true, true,true);
    contentStream.drawPolygon(rectX, rectY);
    contentStream.close();
}

private void addLine(PDDocument srcDoc, final PDPage page,
                     final float fromX, final float fromY, final float
toX, final float toY) throws IOException {
    PDPageContentStream contentStream = new
PDPageContentStream(srcDoc, page, true, true,true);
    contentStream.drawLine(fromX, fromY, toX, toY);
    //TODO needed??: contentStream.closeAndStroke();
    contentStream.close();
}

Both of them contain deprecated method calls. However, I fail to see how
the suggested replacement functionality allows me to write the methods in
such an easy way I have done currently. Any suggestions?

Out of curiosity, is the closeAndStroke() call needed for the drawline()
functionality? I does not seem to make any difference to the end result.

Thanks and best regards
Roberto

Re: Equivalent replacements for drawLine and drawPolygon?

Posted by Roberto Nibali <rn...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 10:36 PM, John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com> wrote:

> Those methods are deprecated in 1.8 and have been removed in 2.0. I’d
> recommend following
> the advice in the JavaDoc for those methods:
>
> @deprecated Use {@link #moveTo} and {@link #lineTo} methods instead.
>
> It’s trivial to call those methods for each point in an array. Note that
> there is no such thing as a
> line or a polygon in PDF which is why those methods were remove. There are
> only paths.

For my use case, I have solved it as follows (in case somebody else might
need it):

private void drawRect(PDDocument srcDoc, final PDPage page,
                      final float posX, final float posY, final float
offX, final float offY) throws IOException {
    final float[] rectX = new float[]{posX, posX + offX, posX + offX, posX};
    final float[] rectY = new float[]{posY, posY, posY + offY, posY + offY};
    drawPolygon(srcDoc, page, rectX, rectY);
}

private void drawPolygon(PDDocument srcDoc, final PDPage page, float[]
x, float[] y) throws IOException {
    if (x.length != y.length) {
        throw new IllegalArgumentException("Error: some points are
missing coordinates");
    }
    PDPageContentStream contentStream = new
PDPageContentStream(srcDoc, page, true, true,true);
    contentStream.moveTo(x[0], y[0]);
    for (int i = 0; i < x.length; i++) {
        contentStream.lineTo(x[i], y[i]);
    }
    //IntStream.range(0, x.length).forEach(i ->
contentStream.lineTo(x[i], y[i]));
    contentStream.closePath();
    contentStream.stroke();
    contentStream.close();
}

private void drawLine(PDDocument srcDoc, final PDPage page,
                      final float fromX, final float fromY, final
float toX, final float toY) throws IOException {
    PDPageContentStream contentStream = new
PDPageContentStream(srcDoc, page, true, true,true);
    contentStream.moveTo(fromX, fromY);
    contentStream.lineTo(toX, toY);
    //TODO: What's the perceived difference between close() and closeAndStroke()
    //contentStream.closeAndStroke();
    contentStream.stroke();
    contentStream.close();
}

Improvements are still possible.

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
Those methods are deprecated in 1.8 and have been removed in 2.0. I’d recommend following
the advice in the JavaDoc for those methods:

@deprecated Use {@link #moveTo} and {@link #lineTo} methods instead.

It’s trivial to call those methods for each point in an array. Note that there is no such thing as a
line or a polygon in PDF which is why those methods were remove. There are only paths.

— John