Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Danny Chan <to...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/09 21:10:51 UTC

Quickly loading C* dataset into memory (row cache)

Hello all,

Is there a method to quickly load a large dataset into the row cache?
I use row caching as I want the entire dataset to be in memory.

I'm running a Cassandra-1.2 database server with a dataset of 5550000
records (6GB size) and a row cache of 6GB. Key caching is disabled and
I am using SerializingCacheProvider. The machine running the Cassandra
server has 7GB memory and 2 CPUs.

I have a YCSB client running on another machine and it runs a readonly
benchmark on the Cassandra server. As the benchmark progresses, the
Cassandra server loads the dataset into the row cache.

However, it takes up to 2 hours to load the entire dataset into the row cache.

Is there any other method to load the entire dataset into row cache
quickly (does not need to use YCSB)?

Any help is appreciated,

Danny

Re: Quickly loading C* dataset into memory (row cache)

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 11:48 PM, Paulo Ricardo Motta Gomes <
paulo.motta@chaordicsystems.com> wrote:

> Apparently Apple is using Cassandra as a massive multi-DC cache, as per
> their announcement during the summit, but probably DSE with in-memory
> enabled option. Would love to hear about similar use cases.

There's caches and there's caches. I submit that, thus far, the usage of
the term "cache" in this conversation has not been specific enough to
enhance understanding.

I continue to assert, in a very limited scope, that 6GB of row cache in
Cassandra on a system with 7GB of RAM is Doing It Wrong.  :D

=Rob

Re: Quickly loading C* dataset into memory (row cache)

Posted by Paulo Ricardo Motta Gomes <pa...@chaordicsystems.com>.

--
*Paulo Motta*

Chaordic | *Platform*
*www.chaordic.com.br <http://www.chaordic.com.br/>*
+55 48 3232.3200

Re: Quickly loading C* dataset into memory (row cache)

Posted by Ken Hancock <ke...@schange.com>.
+1 for Redis.

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Danny Chan <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What are you referring to when you say memory store?
>
> RAM disk? memcached?

In 2014, probably Redis?

=Rob

Re: Quickly loading C* dataset into memory (row cache)

Posted by Danny Chan <to...@gmail.com>.
What are you referring to when you say memory store?

RAM disk? memcached?

Thanks,

Danny

Posted by DuyHai Doan <do...@gmail.com>.