Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Eduardo Pelegri--Llopart <Ed...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/10/05 18:47:15 UTC

group dynamics ... was Re: Confessions

One thought to share:

Even though I still think the real conflict does not have much to do
with "corporations", I suspect there *are* some complications that
arise from communication paths and pre-formed relationships.  Since
the people working on each of the projects knew previously (at least
that is true at SUN), and they have communication paths (f2f in the
building, or a separate mailing list) that are not just the mailing
lists, I think it is easier to create cliques, to come with technical
solutions already throught out, and to reach at decisions that are
harder to change.

Some of this is hard to fix (people with a common technical background
tend to have common biases), but recognizing the issues and making a
focused effort to avoid any communication but through the apache
project mailing list would be useful.

IMO, it would also help to make an effort to avoid describing people
and groups as per their non-group affiliation (e.g. "SUN people",
or "IBM people").

5c.

	- eduard/o